Ya, I got one like that. Was 21, trip to Hollywood, Fla and we rent a TheMightyHobie18 on the beach in Miami. I'd sailed since childhood on monos and always dreamed of cats/Hobies. My friend had never sailed before. We head out with a storm in the distant in winds probably in the 15-20 knot range. We're screaming back and forth along beach a fair way's out when the leeward hull goes under like a torpedo and I experience my first (and very violent) pitchpole. We go butt over kester and before can say "where's the righting line", we've turtled. My friend sits in the middle of the overturned tramp and decides this is the best place to stay, being a "non swimmer" and all (he now tells me). Next, I find the TheMightyHobie18 is in water only 6" shallower than the overtunred mast and with each rise and fall of the waves, the mast is banging/scraping/grinding on the coral below. Fearing I woul have to pay for just about everything on the boat, I remove the jib and main somehow and roll them up on the tramp (friend helped with the rolling). Now we see our "rescue" boat coming out - another TheMightyHobie18!!!!! Gak!. Are you kidding!!!! The young kid who rented us the boat is there, telling us the hulls are full of sand to make them heavier so the boat is harder to tip and thus impossible to right. We removed the mast/boom (underwater still) and put them on the tramp too. So now he "tows" us to shore upside down with the TheMightyHobie18 - yes, 2 hours and a few hundred yards down the shore, we hit the shore. The guy and his friend now turn over the boat in the pseudo surf and break a rudder off. Until then, I thought nothing was broken. My eyes, mind you, were blood shot beyond belief having removed the sails and all rigging in the salty water with no mask. At this point, I figured "what the hell" and just watched as they brought the boat to shore.
First thing he does is put the mast up and "GAK" it's bowed sideways more than I care to remember. At this point my mind is returning to Hobie catagues I'd looked at the in the past, trying remember how much $$$$ I was going to have to fork out. Of course, all this time, my friend is just lookin' around like this always happens when you go sailing.
Unbelievably, the beach rental guy invites us for a beer in his tent. He says he'll bend the mast back himself and we just had to pay him $90 for a new rudder. We gladly gave him the $$ despite his rather detailed instructions on how, in the close neighbourhood, we could easily go out at night and steal one!!!
Total sailing time - about 40 minutes, total time until I could begin to forget the incident - 4 1/2 hours!!!!
Geez Louise........

----------------- H16 '82 Tornado '88