Hello H77,

No short cut here. For the non-skid it was scrub, scrub, scrub. I started with soap and water using a stiff nail-brush. Then (with the same brush) I used Simple Green and lots of scrubbing followed by a wipedown with RM 900. Then, a lot more scrubbing with a fine (soft) brass bristle brush about the size and appearance of a large toothbrush. The trick here was to scrub ALL the dirt out of every individual indentation of the non-skid...it was not easy. I was very concerned about this part of the job because I knew that the two-part poly (like any paint) would eventually chip if any contamination remained in the non-skid.

Once the non-skid *appeared* completely clean, I repeated the process three times more (with a *new* nailbrush) using RM 900 by BASF to remove all waxes and silicone. RM 900 is a professional dewaxer/degreaser/silicone remover and can be ordered via autobody suppliers. This product (or something like it) absolutely MUST be used extensively on the hulls. Removing waxes and worse, silicone, requires very specific solvents. So, use what the professionals use and be wary of anyone suggesting a compromise in this regard.

In total, both hull caps underwent about 3 to 4 hours of intense scrubbing each...definitely "grunt work" and critical.

Dave

Last edited by Captain_Dave; 08/22/05 05:25 PM.