Hi Wouter,

Well it seems we're birds of a feather. I'm plagued with the same condition, only I inherited it from my Irish ancestors. I've been chewed out for lacking tactfulness more than once. I took no offense, in fact as I said it really cracked me up, precisely because I never thought you intended any meanspiritedness.

One of the things I've realized over time regarding talking online, is first, most of us abbreviate our thoughts so we don't have to type as much. And second without tonal inflection, facial expressions and physical gestures our words when printed on a monitor, stand stark. As such they're open to an individual's interpretation, without benefit of clues as to the meaning intended by the speaker. So it's no wonder guys flare up at one another; only to be told by the person they railed against that their interpretation was incorrect. I suppose sailors, as a group, are fairly competitive people, and it occurs to each of us that our view of the world is the correct one, in spite of the fact that no evidence may be available to support our opinions. Instead we proceed forward on our assumptios alone, without the immediate participation of the person we're reacting to. A recipe for disaster and an opportunity for openmindedness.

I figure you're a pretty passionate guy when it comes to sailing and reading your posts tells me you know a heck of a lot more than I do about sailing. So I'm open to what you have to say, however you say it.

Maybe I should have provided a little bio about myself when I signed up for this forum. I guess I was either lazy or figured nobody would give a rip. Here's the deal...couple things happened to me that got me into sailing. First I got older and second I busted up my body pretty badly a little while ago. Last winter I wasn't making any progress with my recovery program, was really depressed about being an old fart, and no longer possessed a body that had formerly allowed me to lead a very athletic life. This fall I'll be 64. I decided sailing wouldn't stress my joints or bones very much and the activity would get me out and moving again. So I read everything I could get my hands on, reached a decision and bought 2005 Nacra F17. I launched it June 4, of this year. That was the first time I'd ever been on a sailboat in my entire life. It was blowing about 12-15 and gusting harder when I pushed off. I was so stiff I could hardly move around on the tramp and really just hung on, scared shi_ _less! Boy, was that a ride. Yesterday I logged my 53 time out sailing my little boat. First book I read while waiting to pick up my new boat was "Catamaran Racing: for the 90s" by Rick and Mary. Half the time I didn't know what they were talking about, and would have to stop and look up a term. But it's clearly written and I really enjoyed it. I still go back over specific sections when I come in from sailing, all befuddled. I went from them onto Stuart Walker and then to Frank Bethwaite. I've never been very successful at anything until I knew it in my mind inside out. So this summer I've been sailing a lot and reading at night. As good as any author may be I still need to put a new lesson into my own words and juggle it around until the light goes on. Sailing by myself as I do, you guys offer a valuable resource for me, and I'm very grateful for your advice.

I love sailing and my body is slowly starting to recover. A friend suggested I better watch it or I'd turn into a beach bum. Pleeeeeze, lord let me be a beach bum.
I've got a few hours of light left and it's blowing ...I'm outta here. I'll get back to you Wouter.
Thanks Wouter