I own a Nacra 5.2 and I used to race on a Hobie 16 as a crew for a good friend.

There are major difference between the two boats but BOTH BOATS ARE REALLY NICE!

.... The Hobie 16 is also one of the driest rides of all cats....

WRONG!!!!! This is the worst catamaran in my experience as far as spray is concern as soon as you start putting some weigth on it. I remember a run with 550 lbs on the wire + the skipper and we were unable to see anything. the skipper had to wear swimming googles to see something!!!

The real strong points of the Hobie16:

Much easier to control in messy waves! While the Nacra can be a handfull, the smaller hulls will not move as much when hitted by waves and swell.

Another point: Might be one of the easiest cat for traillering. Simply use the pylones as anchor points, you can even use regular rope! Raising the mast is easier and tightening the stays is not even important.

Finally, this cat is very good for beaching and overall the hulls are more solid than other cats

I think that everybody will agree that both steering system have issues

Strongs points of the Nacra 5.2
Very light! I am able to list my 5.2 of the ground and walk with it is the tramp and the mast are not installed.

Easy to right

Points well, tacks well

Looks modern!

My main problem with the 5.2 is thwe jib wires system. It was a good idea 30 years ago but those steel wires on the tramp are really an problem for me.

BTW, If I could swapp my Nacra 5.2 for a Hobie 16 in the same shape, I would do it right now because I am now stuck with traillering to the water

Charles Leblanc
Nacra 5.2 #26

Charles Leblanc Nacra 5.2 #26