The new specs of the nacra 17

Here in a seperate post I would like to get into the new nacra 17 (or EU F17) specs and what it can mean for the future.

According to the comments by Baltic in the posts above where he refers to his local nacra dealers comments ((Sven Lindstädt) and the new specs at the website of the EU importer of nacra products www.nacraeurope.com it appears that the new nacra 17 is :

Length 5,25m
Beam ( width) 2,50m
Mast Lenght 8,60m (I-17R = 9.1 mtr)
Weight 125kg (ex jib / spi) 135 kg (incl jib and spi)
Mainsail area 15.50m2
Optional Jib area 3.5m2
Asym. Spinaker 19m2
# Trapeze 1 persons in trapeze
Construction Vinyl Polyester

This opens possibilities !

Because if I run the Texel handicap numbers for both 1-up and 2-up versions with a spinnaker then I find :

nacra 17 (1-up + spi) = 101
nacra 17 (2-up + jib + spi) = 104

If we compare this too

Hobie FX-one (1-up + spi) = 105
Hobie FX-one (2-up + spi) = 106

Spitfire (1-up + spi) = 105
Spitfire (2-up + spi) = 105

Formula 16 (1-up + spi) = 99
Formula 16 (2-up + spi) = 102

It is quite apparent that we are seeing a convergence here. In the past the Nacra 17 with a rating of 110 in both 1-up and 2-up modes was just to far away in performance to be able to race first in winds with the other modern singlehanders. But now it seems that Nacra has placed herself right smack in the middle of this group.

Especially in the way of double handers it appears that all 4 makes could very well race first in wins among eachother and the Formula 18 catamarans. Hopefully we can look forward to more combined events in the future. like the combined FX-one/Formula 16 event with 12 boats that was held last oktober in the UK. If we can add the Nacra 17's to that then that would be great.

Also all 4 boats are gettting closer and closer in overal specs. For example take a look at the mainsail sizes.

Nacra 17 = 15.5 sq. mtr.
Hobie FX-one = 14.91 sq. mtr.
Spitfire = 15.38 sq. mtr.
Formula 16 = 15.00 sq. mtr.

They are all within 4 % of one another. The luff lengths are between 7.9 and 8.1 mtr.

Boat widths. All a 2.5 mtr. wide

Mast lengths :

Nacra 17 = 8.6 sq. mtr.
Hobie FX-one = 8.5 sq. mtr.
Spitfire = 8.5 sq. mtr.
Formula 16 = 8.5 sq. mtr.

All with 1 % of eachother

Hull lengths :

Nacra 17 = 5.25 sq. mtr.
Hobie FX-one = 5.23 sq. mtr.
Spitfire = 4.97 sq. mtr.
Formula 16 = 5.00 sq. mtr.

All within 6 % of one another

More and more all the specs are converging on the same "5 mtr x 2.5 mtr x 8.5 mtr x 15 sq. mtr." general setup.

The only spec in which these boats still differ noticeably is the overall weight but nacra is rumoured to have drastically lowered their overall weight and I know Hobie is under pressure to do so by theit FX-one sailors as well.

Interesting times, lets see what comes of it.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands