It depends on your perspective. Buffalo, NY is cold. Tampa gets….cool.

Today, December 9 at 7 am, the Tampa water is 70 and the air is 68. By noon it will be 74. That’s high summer conditions for many parts of the country. Here in Tampa Bay, people whine when the water drops below 80 (really!). I saw drysuits last weekend but it wasn’t for safety or coldness, it’s just whining and a lust for sailing gear. If you watch the regular beach rats, they were sailing until past sunset in just bathing suits. I RARELY have worn a wetsuit here and if so, just a shorty. I do wear a windbreaker jacket in winter and every now and then I wear my ski powder pants.

I lived on the beach in Del Mar (San Diego) where the water only goes over 70 in the hottest part of summer but no wetsuit was needed after March (temp > 60). Anything over 60 and you can handle the 5-20 minute swim after a major capsize. Otherwise, it's just protection from the wind. If you ARE cold, wear the gear because cold will kill you. Otherwise, thank God we live in a postcard all year, embrace the perfect conditions, and don’t pretend it’s cold.