Roughly speaking :

advice to fully rotate the mast to 90 degrees is sound advice to everybody new to spinnaker sailing. The chances of snapping or bending a mast are seriously reduced that way. However I'll admit that I play a little with my rotation under spinnaker as well. But then again I'm a sailor off the kind "rather swim, then slack the mainsheet when under spinnaker". You must understand what the rig is doing to safely go look for the edges. But now that I'm quite familiar with the rig I tens to rotate my mast for optimal trim in anything under 10 knots. After that I try to rotate to optimal trim as much as I can, but I keep a constant eye on my mast to see if I'm overdoing it. My experience is that the superwing mast is quite stirdy under spinnaker. I will bend, sometimes alot, but it takes that with a smile. But again, you are doing this under your own responsibility. No builder will warrant any mast when you are not rotating it to 90 degree when setting the spi. Sufficient mainsheet tension is key !

It seems to me that the current recommendations are that the bear off requires no significant tuning changes. A slight lowering of the traveller perhaps but most everything stays in the upwind configuration.

That is the way I run it when it is windy or when I have other things to do like finding my eye through a crowded area.

There are other approaches but I'm finding that "get on with it, focussing on the big things first" is placing me higher. When I have the time or clear water I may well adjust a few minor things as well.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands