Paul:

I sail a Tiger and reworked my rotation adjustment making it similar to the Nacras with cleats to the side of the boat. Even if going Mach I think it still makes sense to let the rotation off downwind. Eileen and I were being lazy one day and did not ease the rotation, while Pease and Jay Glaser were watching us. They said it made big difference if we did not let it rotate forward, as the sail is a completely different shape. This may have something to do with how the spinnaker pulls at the mast when up. I think that the Tornado’s may be going back to the way this new boat is rigged. We used to sail a Hobie 20 with the rotation on the trampoline like this. It works better due to the friction you mentioned. I think it is nice to have it out of the way and on the boom…but at what cost? I may move mine to trampoline to try for an afternoon out. Just to see how we like it. We will see.

Hobie Gary:

This boat may look on the picture to be thin but that is relative. The hulls are very wide and able to float a lot of weight. The hull from the crossbar forward may look, in the pics, to be narrow. They are not.

Later,
Dan