How did we get here again?

Deja Vu, Jake! I fell off my chair laughing.

FOILER MISCONCEPTIONS:

1. "They only fly once in a while." Reality: They fly more often when you're not carrying freight/passenger. The amount of flying time on the water is directly proportional to the prevalence of 7-10mph available wind when singlehanding.

2. "The Rave is heavy". Reality: It weighs 400lbs. It's heavy if you forget to remove the trailer from the boat before pushing off from the beach. That weight is comparable to a lot of cats.

3. "The Tri-Foiler can't go in a chop." Reality: Look at the pics of the Hobie Tri-Foiler above in this thread. (You're welcome, Matt.) When the Rave is up on the foils, it flys above the chop. Chop don't matter until it's up to a height where only a lead mine boat would bother to tread.

4. "They take forever to setup." Reality: If forever is an hour, my workday typically runs about eight forevers. I am paid each week for forty forevers worth of work. I'm underpaid.

7. "They don't sell well." Reality: They don't sell well. The owners are a reclusive bunch, anyway, and couldn't care less after they have their baby in the garage.

14. "They're fragile." Reality: A foiler has to withstand much, much more load on the foils, rig, and frame than any other boat design. (For all that strength the weight is pretty low.) Consequently, they have to be bullet proof but inherent idiot proofing has been a problem. The foiler multihull designers have been at it since the '70's, so they're about as right as they are going to be. For many owners, the foiler was their first sailboat or first multihull. Extrapolate that scenario to it's inevitable conclusion.

18. "They're slow when not flying." Reality: With three T-foils and three hulls in the water...duh. Live with it, buy that optional A-sail, and/or get another boat to use when the wind ain't blowin'.

21. "They don't make 'em anymore." Reality: The Rave can be made by request. The TriFoiler may be, too. I dunno. Call 'em and ask them if they mind taking your money. It never hurts to ask.