Scooby,

That's an interesting point and well worth considering. But it does raise a few questions:

1) If you fall off without bungees on your tiller, how certain can you be that it will capize, and how quickly?

2) In what winds will this happen (ie, you could slip and fall off in 5-10 and it's very possible the boat may not capsize)?

3) If you do fall off, what are the odds you're not holding the mainsheet or tiller, and if you were holding either of them, wouldn't that capsize the boat even if there were bungees on the tiller?

4) It's not clear that a boat with bungees but no crew would sail off and not capsize; might depend on wind strength, what's cleated, etc?

5) It might depend on how strong the bungees were as to if or when a boat with bungees would capsize?

6) Even if a boat with no bungees on the tiller did capsize 30 feet from where you fell off, in any amount of wind, it could drift sideways away from you faster than you could swim to it?

Just some thoughts for discussion...

Anyone else try them?
I used them last season on my H17 and they worked fine, though I confess I never fell off. The boat did have enough weather helm (mild) that when I let go it would eventually head up into irons (even with bungess on the tiller).

Jerry