Ply core would be ok for mast construction, but there does not look like there is much glass work included, let alone any carbon.

My observation is not enough glass/carbon to support the ply structure & timber structure.

It looks like the ply webs with fillets may have stopped at this point or did you cut the broken section to make it clearer viewing.

marcus

There are 2 layers of fairly light E glass sheathing the outside of the mast, carbon was used at high stress points, tang, gooseneck, base, spreaders and diamond wire attachment points. The ply web with spruce gussets extends the entire length of the mast, it appears to have sheared pretty cleanly at the break. If you look close though to one of the pics of the break, there's a monel staple that appears to be across the plies of the web, which could only be if there was a joint in the web there. Malcom said all the joints in the web (and elsewhere) were scarfed, and the break in the web isn't a machined edge, so the whole thing is mysterious to me.
So a couple of questions come up around the repair. It would be nice to sleeve the inside of the mast somehow, as well as reinforcing the exterior. But not clear how to pull that off. And then there's the issue of how and how much to add to the exterior. I think Wouter is suggesting vertical tapes of unidirectional carbon fiber spaced around the circumference. Additonal layers of E glass or carbon cloth? The builder is suggesting that moving the forward attachment point for the boom off the mast to the main crossbeam will substantially reduce the point load on the mast, and I plan to do that. I need as much advice as you guys can give me!

dave