Yeah - I mean on the post at the mast base..or around the beam at the mast base. I've seen several boats that have taken on water in the mast and were unable to be righted without oustide assistance (one was a Supercat 21 Tall rig). In both cases I witnessed, there was damage to the boat when the powerboat tried to right them sideways.

I dont' have time to sketch a drawing at the moment...but I'll try to be more descriptive.

I don't recall where I read it (I think it might have come from something Smyth had on his site a long time ago), and I'll admit to haveing never attempted it on a beach cat, but this is how I've seen several several large tri-marans be righted. A line is attached forward on the boat (mast base on a cat or somewhere on the bow on a tri) and run it down the underside of the turtled vessel so that the line passes the stern and then goes to the tow vessel. The tow vessel only needs to slowly apply power because with the sails raised under the water, as the boat just begins to move backwards in the water, the sails will swing out and act like an anchor. The boat should then pivot upwards as the bows come up and the sterns start to dig in. The boat should splash down right side up (somewhat gently because the sterns will be depressed) with much less tow force required than if the boat were towed sideways.

The boats that I saw that were pulled sideways, the sails would fight the righting moment and would usually try to spin the boat as they were pulled upwards from turtle. Maintaining proper orientation between the tow vessel and the cat was very difficult and resulted in the tow vessel trying to accelerate very quickly before the cat would spin - but all this did was result in was additional forces applied until something was damaged because the sails would just spin the cat faster.

Jake Kohl