Well I think we can conclude here that at least the rudders are perfectly balanced. Not unimportant I say.

I personaly FEEL that your rake it too much, 3 inches DOWN on the transom is alot, but I have no hard data to support that. I feel the line should touch the deck somewhere between the rearbeam and transom. Maybe we can have a sound-off with everybody giving their measurements ?

When I received the ordered stays for my boat I found the supplier misread the distances I gave him as well. But mine issue was the other way around. May mast was almost leaning forward. My forestay proved to be 130 mm to short and my sidestays were 70 mm to long. I made the forestay longer by looping a 4 mm lines several times through the eyes (I still use that same line) and I had my sidestays shortened by local chandler (while I was watching and checking) by having the old terminal cut off and a new terminal fitted. Now I'm all right.

How low are you on the forestay adjuster ?

How high are you on the sidestay adjusters ?

So I bore off deep for a while, doused it and sailed back to the mark on main alone. Certainly had lee-helm but only noticed it if I tried to put the stick down.

When confronted with this again, it is best to continue sailing optimal angles in the way of speed, then drop the spi and reach for the mark.

If you can make the mark by just pointing a little higher without collapsing or letting go of the kite then that is most efficient but when you CAN'T then the above approach is better, also in the way of time spend getting to the mark. Trying to do it both way simultaniously is NOT best.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands