25 Knots = 28.8 MPH
30 Knots = 34.6 MPH
35 Knots = 40.3 MPH

32 - 38miles / hr = Moderate gale whole trees in motion; inconvenience in walking against wind.

One of the problems I have found over the years is that sailors tend to over estimate the wind strength when telling their stories of 'big' days. I often hear people saying they were racing in 20 to 30+knots when in fact if you were to check with a wind gauge, as I frequently do, you'd likely find it's more like 15/20. 30+k is serious wind for an OTB cat and particularly on a lake which is likely to be shallow enough for significant waves to develop. Telling these porkers tends to promote the idea that it's ok to go out in these conditions when realistically, unless you and your crew are very very experienced it's simply not worth it.

I personally think it's foolish to venture out in anything approaching this wind strength particularly if it's only for a social boat race and more particularly if it puts people's lives in danger, which is the reality. I've had this argument with many a 'macho' sailor who thinks it's a sign of weakness to pull out of a boat race for safety reasons. It doesn't bother me to pull the pin, now I'm of a more mature age with nothing to prove and when I see the carnage these conditions often cause, like broken masts and damaged mains etc., I feel totally justified.

My motto now is; IF IN DOUBT, DON'T GO OUT! It's only a bloody boat race!