One of the other sports I have really enjoyed is whitewater kayaking. Whitewater rapids are defined from Class 1 water to Class 6 water. Class 1 is just moving water, no white water. Class 2 is gentle rapids, you're seeing some white water and it can flip a kayak. Class 3 is a strong rapid, not dangerous, usually a lot of fun, if you flip, it won't hold you and rarely hurts anyone. Class 4 is for advanced paddlers, it can be a big wave or a sticky hole, like Class 3 it normally cannot kill you but can scare the hell out of you if you are not experienced. Class 5 is for experts only and has the possibility of serious injury and sometimes death if a paddler with not enough experience tries it. This type of rapid requires careful scouting. Class 6 is suicide, period, big water and inescapable hydraulics.

The thing I noted about this sport is no one is put down if they want to portage (not attempt and walk around) a rapid no matter what class it is. If anything, you are more respected because if you require rescue, it puts others at risk. A cardinal rule is you never paddle alone, white water is very unforgiving.

In contrast, I sometimes find a bit of a testosterone pit with catamaran sailors. I agree that many of them way overestimate the wind strength on the "big" days they boast about. I've been sailing 30 years and racing catamarans for over 14 years and once the wind starts getting over 20 knots, I seriously begin considering if I need to be out there. I really don't respect (and many times don't believe) someone who is boasting about sailing in 30-35 knots of wind because you are putting yourself at jeopardy on any current beach cat unless you shorten the sail area. Again, I'll grab the shortboard and go boardsailing. It's way more fun and certainly safer.

And Kansas is one windy place. I've sailed at Lake Cheney twice (P-19 Nationals) and seen 30-35 knots of inland breeze. I also rode a bike west to east across the state. The ever present north or south crosswind makes it a tough ride.

Bob Hodges