I don't know that your experience concerning inter exchange of ideas (or lack of), set up, technology, etc, is the "norm” WARBIRD. I have always found over many, many years of sailing that the vast majority of sailers, regardless of whatever class of boat, whether it be mono hulled dingy, multi hulled, trailer sailer, or ocean racer, whether the sailers be raw beginners or top professionals (America's cup excepted) have always been only too pleased to discuss any/all aspects of sailing with ANY interested party, and down through the years the adaptation of any GOOD idea relating to “set up”, fitting lay out, or design, has freely flowed between all and every class/type of boat.
If you want to know how anything on a boat works, or even how one class compares to another, always ask another sailer, they are always friendly and receptive to any other “of their kind”, (forget the rest I.E chandleries, sales people etc).
There is a camaraderie amongst all sailers, even if two of them are “deadly” enemies on dry land, they will still immediately go to each others assistance if needed “at sea”.