Jake,

All I can say is just do it. I have always tacked like you do, but on my A it is not fast to cleat the main. First few tacks were just bad, but you will soon learn how...just keep trying. I switch the main to the tiller hand and hold the trap handle with my other. As you turn into the tack there will be a point at which you will have to pull very hard and quickly to get onto the boat, which will help pull the boat around. Helps if you are back before starting the tack.
Hunt Stockly (sp?) had a neat system on his 18HT. His wife was skipper and she had the normal sheet in the back. He had some system where he had a mid boom block that was attached to the rear main system. She would get the main in as far as she could, then he would play the main from the mid boom block from the crew position. At the tack he would un cleat, the main would go out some and as he goes to the other side grab the sheet hanging from the boom, get out and pull in and play that final bit. Can not blow the main totally, but had enough play to work the main. In a big puff the skipper can un cleat. Looked cool, but not sure how it worked in the end. May bee Bill can give some info..he sailed with them in the NE.
Ken