Under what circumstances should you change course in a distance race to check whether you should render assistance?

Is it automatic if you see a flip or stuff to assume you must go and check on the boat?

Does it matter how radically you have to change course? (Sail back up wind)

Can you assume that boats behind will see the crashed boat and stop and render assistance?

Do you keep checking to see if anyone did stop or the boat is upright before you turn around or heave to and wait until the boat is up and moving again and ask for redress?

Does it matter if its a buoy race and there are mark boats on the course. Would no mark boats change your point of view? Does this change your perspective and give you a pass?

Should distance racers keep their hand held radio's on their person and listen for a distress call?

Should any of this be spelled out in the Sailing Instructions or is the general rule 1 good enough?

Should the PRO bring this protocol up at the Skip meeting?

If you don't think about this stuff before hand... and in the moment say to your self... ah... that’s X... he is alright.... and the !@#!#$ hits the fan... What do you say to yourself ... to the injured X?

I must say... I have grown careless... I just realized that I did not have a set of rules to operate by and have been just making it up as I go without ever thinking it through....

Hmmm. not so good!

Last edited by Mark Schneider; 08/22/06 08:31 PM.

crac.sailregattas.com