Read the comments from another post below:

Hi everyone and thanks for the welcome

I should warn you up front that my project has a long time frame for a number of reasons so I will be reading your ideas more than writing in the beginning. Before looking too seriously at the kite I'm getting my boat back together (yes Rob the paint job is still on the cards before the next season) and making a couple of refinements before moving on the kite. One reason for the decision to go slow is that I'm not really happy with any options I've seen yet with respect what launching system to use. At the moment I'm leaning heavily toward the Inter type snuffer as ease of handling is definitely my first priority. Also , being a heavier sailor, I enjoy a pretty strong upwind advantage over most in conditions over 10 - 12 knots which is where I suspect the windage disadvantage would hurt the most. This system is obviously simple and probably a good starting point.

Windage is definitely a concern although not the way you might think. One of my close friends holds the world sailing speed record and the work his syndicate has done suggests that it is the extra wires and loose (unclean) shape of the suffer bag that will have the most detrimental effect. On this basis I want to develop an aerodynamic combined snuffer /pole/chute with minimum wires. The Kayak type system shown on the Tornado post earlier in this forum is along the lines I'm thinking although still too many bracing wires. The trick is to build a monocoque structure that is light and stiff - still working on that one!!

As far as the length of pole, kite size etc my aim is to develop something that fits within both the F16 and Taipan rules. This may mean a slightly smaller kite or shorter pole but since the relative gain for a cat rig will be significant I don't think this will be a big issue.

Anyway - look forward to reading your thoughts and seeing what you are all doing. I will aim to post my ideas as they come to light.

Cheers

James

AUS 153 'Woof'