John W, Jake....... How was it???

It was a frustrating week for us - we just couldn't seem to get in tune with the wind, competition, and the shifts. At times, I don't think we experiemented enough with the boat and got locked into accepting less-than-perfect starts and boat tuning. The recent focus on distance racing (for me) seems to have taken some of my ability away from racing around the cans too. I kind of failed ourselves in that I was too quick to find other things to blame when I should have been looking inward and working harder so we also found it diffult to improve as the week went on...lesson learned.

The week was an excellent and fair contest of the teams and those that were on top were consistantly on top and earned their positions. I also find that the skill of this fleet in North America is quickly gaining and feel like I have a lot of studying and practicing to do in order to get back into the chase.

Team Layline (Mike Krantz and David Lennard) didn't show as well as they deserved due to one on-board mechanical failure leading to a DNF and a collision that resulted in redress that averaged in their throw-out DNF. Those guys were hot this week and just missed the top 10 by 0.3 points!

Kenny and JC proved a LOT this week in putting together a boat that they have never sailed before and placing second (watch as their scores gradually get better as they sorted out the boat). These guys are no longer just top distance racers and are a serious force on anything with two hulls.

Mischa and Carrie tought us what pros can do - I've never seen tacks and jibes so fluid and seamless. In the three times we were fortunate enough to own a starboard crossing with them, they choose to tack away than to duck and lost less distance up the course that way. Excellent competitors and excellent sportsmanship.

There's more at http://www.teamseacats.com - I should have the pictures up soon (I had connection issues that prohibited the uploading of photos).

Jake Kohl