I'm in the middle of designing a new hull to stick under my current rig and beams (modified mosquito). It will be able to support the F16 minimum weight with crew as opposed to the mosquito weight. If it goes well I'd be interested in supporting the open source F16 and provide a hullform with internal structure.

The best way to do this maybe in the form of a wiki dedicated to the process.

I'm not sure if it will be a worthwhile exercise though, there's not a lot to the design of an F16 without going to extreme analysis techniques or just good old fashioned on-water testing.

Sails - pretty much sussed and only on-water testing is likely to produce any improvements, unless you want to purchase/write some hefty software.
Rigs - stiff is fast.
Beams/Platforms - stiff is fast.
Hull Structure - Sooo many varieties that all work, some better than others, but all have there advantages.
Hull Form - only real area that development is possible, and that is mainly because of personal preferences, therefore let the owner of the boat decide.
Foils(Centreboard/Rudders) - a fair bit of freedom here...

Probably a better idea is to provide a set of resources that ppl can put into use in their own designs (general hull construction, tips and tricks, traps for beginners, photos, rig details, etc). Also, we could put our combined brain power to a list of improvements that can be made to current design/construction practices. This would make its way into the above mention resource of current best practices once it is proven on the water.

I can assure you that a lot of the information that will be generated will be based on heresay, rumour, misinformation, lack of understanding and just plain miscommunication. I have heard it all with regard to boat design! This needs to be carefully controlled with proper, unbiased discussion and not heated argument(which will only ruin the idea).

Another part to this could be a set of spreadsheets/software that can be used to develop an F16 design. Just simple stuff like basic hydrostatics for F16 weight with your specific crew weight, maybe some basic resistance calcs for a design (although this is very tricky)...

Really what I am counter proposing is just a collaboration of all the information we currently have spread all over the world into one source. There is already tons of it in this forum and even more of it in the minds of the current sailors, but it is difficult to find sometimes.

I hope I haven't come across as negative to the idea of an open source F16, I just think it needs a bit of fine tuning towards something that would be less frustrating, more inclusive of everyones ideas and more useful to everyone that is interested. I think encouragement of homebuilt F16's is a very good idea and this resource will be very valuable to the F16 homebuilder.

An example of what I'm talking about is
Lester Gilbert personal website with a good array of information for International One Metre model yachts. It is set out in relatively easy to browse categories.

Done Formula 16 Catamaran Design
There may be problems with adding an F16 design wiki to wikipedia, someone has objected to it being an "instruction manual". Might have to come up with another idea or just edit the article or title. Maybe place a wiki on the F16 website.