It has been said earlier, but the downhaul really needs to be let of (almost) completely of the top of the mast and sail will hook the water or pull the mast down aerodynamically when the tip clears the surface.

Also the traveller cat needs to be completely down towards the leeward hull and the mainsheet then needs to be run out as far as possible with the sheet left. In some cases it helps to untie the travellerline from the mainsheet and run them both out totally. If there is only a little shape in the sail then righting her can quickly become very hard. Been there, done that.

Most people say they do these things but often they don't do enough of it.

For some reason my boat never lays on its ear with the mast pointing in the wrong directions. It always points with its mast to the wind or pendendicular to the wind. Maybe that has something to do with the Taipan hullshape.

I do know that ones in waves it took very long to rotate around. I learned on other boats to then stand on the bows with the righting line in on hand (loosely). The boat will now turn around. When you think you are there where you want to be then walk back to the middle if the hulls and lower yourself on the righting line. This last action only takes 2 seconds, to quick for the boat to turn back.

Good luck

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands