I really like what you guys have done with the boat.

Those are really good looking beams and with the eliptical front I think you stand a very good chance on cutting down on spray.

I also like the new dolphinstriker strap. Is that custom to you boat or will this also be fitted to all the new stealths. That strap will make the mainbeam very stiff under mast loads and the flatness of the strap will make it cut through waves effortlessly.

My impression of the Stealth F16's always was that they were rather stiff in the platform, with the upgrades it surely must be very stiff indeed. And that is good as I've seen the new stiffness data on the Blade design.

The competition is definately on.

If class rules allowed we could actually have had a 6.2m luff / leach as the bridals are a little down the inside of the hulls.

Yes, but don't actual go that tall. We had to decide on some limit in the rules and it turned out that the mathematical formula used in Texel/SCHRS handicap can hardly distinquish between jibs wit luff lengths in the range of 5.4 to 6.0. We didn't want to limit designes freedom to much in the F16 rules and so we just maxed out this rule. However 6.2 mtr long jibs will be extremely narrow and tall, having an aspect ratio of 10. They are most likely to be very sensitive to trim. Everybody seems to converge to 5.50 mtr long jib luffs and that seems to work out well. Also don't bring the jib too low as it will be between the hulls and therefor when lifting a hull part of the jib will be in bad air coming of the hull. This another reason why other builders don't go past 5.5 mtr luff lengths.

2, 2x Carbo ratchamtics each side for the kite.

Yep, no doubt about it. Good mod !

3, Higher aspect plates (around 4.7 we think)

That is pretty tall !

Well, you will not be suffering any performance loss in stable medium winds that is for sure. Probably track like a Fox hound. But you'll probably be lifting them early on when the gusts come or the winds increase.

4, Higher aspect Jib

Good mod, there was some potential to be gained there.

5, Higher aspect Kite (did not have time to measure the luff or take pics).

Very good for singlehanded sailing. Alot of luff length and a flat kite should be really effective when singlehanding.

From you describtion it almost sounds like you have a spi luff that is taking from skiffs. These too have very rounded luffs. Often this means they are cut to sail really deep.

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter; 11/21/06 07:19 PM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands