To summarize, you're looking for a boardless cat with higher performance than the Wave. Here are the best options as I see it:

1. Nacra 5.0 or 500--can sail with or w/out jib, alone or with crew, safe/boomless rig; can be righted by someone 215lbs with effort in the right conditions

2. Hobie 14--too small for you; I know because I have one and can bog it down with my 185lbs.

3. Hobie 16--always an option due to availability; downside is its' weight and more primitive design.

4. Nacra 450--probably too small for you, especially if you ever take someone else out.

Here's a couple other options if you want to consider centerboards or daggerboards:

5. Taipan 4.9 cat-rigged--simple to rig, very light weight to move around (well over 100lbs lighter than the nacra or hobie options), nearly as fast as an A-cat but sturdy enough to sail off the beach, designed for one or two people, option of adding a jib or spinnaker later, can be righted by someone 215lbs easily; superior built quality

6. Sea Spray--it's very light; daggerboards, fast but no trapeze; cartoppable

7. Hobie 17--similar description to Nacra 5.0, but with the pros and cons of racks and centerboards

8. Freestyle 15--daggerboards, light, fast, hard to find

And a few boats that would "fit the bill" but are hard to find in usable condition:

9. Prindle 15
10. Prindle 16
11. G-cat 5.0

Now, what about cost (used boats)...

Taipan 4.9 cat $7,500 and up
Nacra 5.0/500 $1,000 and up
Nacra 450 ?
Hobie 16 $700 and up
Hobie 14 $700 and up
Sea Spray free and up
Hobie 17 $1,500 and up
Freestyle 15 $500 and up
Prindle 15/16 free and up
G-cat free and up

Hope this helps--good luck; seems like this time of year would be a buyers market in Wisconsin.

Last edited by ejpoulsen; 01/12/07 07:05 PM.

Eric Poulsen
A-class USA 203
Ultimate 20
Central California