(BTW, I continue to agree with you that the design as conceived is sound and effective, my only problem is with thet current implementation, which, as you say, is some other guy's work. You're very kind to try and sort all this out.)

Sorry Rick, my post wasn't too clear on one point. Whether or not you put the plate next to the strut supporting the D-striker is irrelevent to the problem. You still have to locate the plate in such a way that it allows the pole to be used perpendicular to the tramp. That means it must be somewhere aft of the bottom of the beam, to get it out from under the D-Striker Bar.

This of course tilts the plate and universal joint. A soon as you tilt the universal joint out of line with the pole while in use, you create the tipping moment I described in my earlier post. In Rick's implementation, the flanges are alligned to oppose this force, and the plate is curved to match the beam. See picture below:

[Linked Image]

Rick's picture, showing the plate as he uses it.

(The plate now shipping doesn't work this way)

The plate they're shipping now, unlike the one in your picture, is perfectly flat, except for the region in the middle where the nut'nbolt from the Uni-joint stick through. But the "flanges" on either side are in the same plane. Each flange has one rivet hole, centered in the flange. Absent bending this sturdy thing, you cannot mount it with the plate's long axis pointing up-and-down, like in your picture, above.

As it is now shipping, it's impossible to install it this way.

So when I called Murray's, the advice was to mount it the long way. (With the flanges pointing to the beam-ends) This place the single line of contact in line with the 2 rivet holes, and thus the force multiplier under rocking moment is near-infinite. Plus the rivets are not alligned to oppose rocking moment at all - - they have zero leverage to hold down the plate.

Presto! Instant claw hammer/pry-bar.

Hope this clears things up. Sorry they took your design and changed it.

I repeat Murray's says they'll stand behind this and all their products, and that they're now looking into a fix. My guess: shims or exoxy-putty as a "fix up" for existing owners, and they'll curve the plates on future orders. There can't be more than 5 very popular beam curvatures out there, and for the odd one-or two, they can ship the closest aproximation, with Expoxy putty. Maybe they'll offer new curved plates to existing customers, but sliding in a shim and adding 4 rivets is an easier fix, and seems adequate.

Sail Fast, Ed Norris