Ah... which of the two models to pursue. The F16 model or the high profile SMOD model.

I would note... that at the time, the F18 class was growing. The F20 class was fracturing apart and the 16' footers were an after thought. Wouter and the others saw the niche and developed the boats by home builds, modifying existing boats and enrolling builders over time. Its still not a big class... but it certainly has potential for lot of people who single hand..., are of small stature, or want to start sailing with a kid in a high performance boat.

Meanwhile, the F18HT class took advantage of the exchange rate and NO 18 foot racing class in the USA and tried to build a circuit of races. The Worrel being the most prominent. Most of the races survive.... the class did not.

IMO, the market niche of sailors at 360 and up is squeezed from two directions. the heavy weight owner can find a flyweight but strong crew and go compete on the F18's. If that is not enough for them... the existing Nacra 20 provides just enough juice in this niche to stop all development of an HT boat from most buiders point of view.

IMO, In the USA, I would count on home builders and sailors interested in the custom M20 or the Eagle 20 flavors to modify or build boats that are trying to win the elapsed time records of the Miami to Key Largo Race, The Mug Race, The Statue of Liberty Race on the East coast,
Those race will prove the speed potential... If the boats sail well... they will also be perfect for windward leeward racing if you can get a group of similar performance boats to the line at one time.

In europe, Texel and Carnac come to mind as events that you would target with your HT 20 projects. I don't forsee a big buoys racing scene developing around the 20's. There is simply too many options with the F18's.

In the end... I think of the HT20's much like the keel boat sailing in the USA... They mostly race handicap on point to point or 1 big circle a day on the bay and once or twice a year they actualy do three days of windward leeward races (NOOD and Labor Day Race Weekend)

Last edited by Mark Schneider; 06/01/07 11:43 AM.

crac.sailregattas.com