Bay of Islands, NZ
W
warbird Offline
old hand
warbird  Offline
old hand
W

Bay of Islands, NZ
There is something to be said for longevity in design. This prospective sees a "line" of sailors who all relate in a special way to particular designs requirements and understandings. Also, swapping the boat designs too regularly means the big introduction fleets would disappear and money would be enen more indicative of "winners".

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Why have a multihull in the Olympics? [Re: sarahlala] #100997
03/22/07 07:21 AM
03/22/07 07:21 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Tornado_ALIVE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tornado_ALIVE  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Melbourne, Australia
Mary --

Just because you have never experienced the Olympics as a driving factor in your sailing does not mean that the rest of the sailing world shares your opinion. Where I'm pretty sure that I'm the minority in this discussion, I know for a fact that there is an overwhelming number of sailors, youth or not, who consider the potential of Olympic competition incredibly inspiring.

Very well said Sarah.

Mary, to help answer your question.....

I began sailing at quiet a young age. Through my teen years I slowed down with my sailing and eventually stopped to persue another passion of mine, Tae Kwon Do, with a strong desire to represent at an Olympic Games. Due to injuries and to put it quiet simply, not being good enough..... I did not even come close.

Due to frustration and my body telling me it was not a good idea, I turned back to sailing in my mid 20s with an aim to represent in the Tornado Class. It was my desire to compete for my country in an Olympics that brought me back to sailing and step up my level of sailing further.

I later realised it was an unrealistic goal for me and am now happy to race at club and local regatta level, whislt competing to the best of my abilities at International Regattas.

So to answer your question, the Olympics brought me back to sailing and gave me a goal to set my eyes on even though I did not get close. I am sure I am not the only person who shares a simular story........ So I guess the Olympics have given something back to Multihull sailing even if it is only small.

Re: Why have a multihull in the Olympics? [Re: Tornado_ALIVE] #100998
03/22/07 12:32 PM
03/22/07 12:32 PM
New Hampshire, USA
windswept Offline
addict
windswept  Offline
addict

New Hampshire, USA
[quote
... to put it quiet simply, not being good enough..... I did not even come close.

... I turned back to sailing in my mid 20s with an aim to represent in the Tornado Class. It was my desire to compete for my country in an Olympics that brought me back to sailing and step up my level of sailing further.

So to answer your question, the Olympics brought me back to sailing and gave me a goal to set my eyes on even though I did not get close. I am sure I am not the only person who shares a simular story........ So I guess the Olympics have given something back to Multihull sailing even if it is only small. [/quote]

Yes, about the same as my own experience. Had a great helmsman, good boat and the drive. Personal life got in the way, but it was the goal that gave me the drive to get back into sailing and racing.

Tom Siders
A-Cat USA-79
Tornado US775
Re: Why have a multihull in the Olympics? [Re: warbird] #100999
03/23/07 07:35 PM
03/23/07 07:35 PM
New Hampshire, USA
windswept Offline
addict
windswept  Offline
addict

New Hampshire, USA
To finish this thread. Multihull belong in the olympics as long as sailing remains an olympic sport for the simple reason that it represents a large portion of active racing today. The olympics need to represent the current state of the sport. Multihulls and sailboards are a great and growing part of this sport.

Tom Siders
A-Cat USA-79
Tornado US775
Re: Why have a multihull in the Olympics? [Re: Mary] #101000
03/24/07 12:23 AM
03/24/07 12:23 AM
St. Louis, MO
JoeLeonard Offline
JoeLeonard  Offline

St. Louis, MO
Why should we care whether or not there is a multihull in the Olympics?

Checking in late....but quite simply....An Olympic dream serves as motivation for our youth!! My 16 year old son is motivated to get into Cat sailing as he sees it as exciting, and a potential path to the Olympics. That by itself would be enough but Secondly.....anyone looking to launch a major campaign and therefor looking for SPONSORS (a particularly tough proposition for US sailors), knows that participation (of our sport)in the Olympics is a major boost to their efforts.

I agree that there are many other good comments in this thread, but these two bits are all the reason I need to be passionate about MH and sailing (in general) participation in the Olympics.

back to lurk mode...

JL N20 # 1041 "Lucille" A-cat USA 44
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 668 guests, and 142 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022