Hop To
question for Texas sailors #10224
09/08/02 01:29 PM
09/08/02 01:29 PM
Texas
Bob Klein Offline OP
Bob Klein  Offline OP

Texas
I'm looking for some help from Texas sailors. I am located in College Station and I can't seem to find any mast-up storage at Lake Somerville. I am rather tired of taking the boat down every time we go out for a day sail. I got spoiled during our trip to Pensacola Beach (Key Sailing venue) where all we had to do is put up the sails and off we went. I should just move to Pensacola!

Can somebody give me some ideas of nice sailing lakes within a several hour drive of College Station that may have mast-up storage and camping facilities in the area? Lake Travis, Canyon, Lake Whitney?? Maybe I am going to have to buy lake property (after I win the lottery).

Thanks in advance.

Bob Klein

Inter 18

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: question for Texas sailors [Re: Bob Klein] #10225
09/08/02 02:39 PM
09/08/02 02:39 PM
Andrew Offline
enthusiast
Andrew  Offline
enthusiast

There are various mast-up facilities on Lake Travis, and it's a good-sized lake too. I am personally familiar with Highland Lakes Marina at Volente Beach, and with the Austin Yacht Club. HLM has a (grassy) cat beach that is quite nice at certain lake levels, and always serviceable. The Yacht Club has a paved lot with "dry slips" while HLM has a grass lawn with some paved and some rock driveways. Good luck.

Andrew Tatton Nacra 20 "Wiggle Stick" #266 Nacra 18 Square #12
Re: question for Texas sailors [Re: Andrew] #10226
09/08/02 03:14 PM
09/08/02 03:14 PM
Texas
Bob Klein Offline OP
Bob Klein  Offline OP

Texas
Andrew;

This is a great start! Can you give me a general idea of cost associated with the place you have your Prindle? Also, is it a secure area where I could leave my sails (etc.) in the locked storage locker on the trailer?

I think Lake Travis is about 2.5 hours from our door. I wonder about camp sites in the area if we didn't want to drive back each night.

Cheers

bob

Re: question for Texas sailors [Re: Bob Klein] #10227
09/08/02 11:32 PM
09/08/02 11:32 PM
Cedar Creek, Tx
cappydec Offline
cappydec  Offline

Cedar Creek, Tx
Bob, I used to keep my Supercat-20 at Highland lakes marina for 40.00 a month. There were lots of cats there. AYC charges 20.00 monthly plus you must be a member and pay monthly dues. You can check AYC at http://www.austinyachtclub.org/ for more info. Check out this site for info on all Lake Travis Marinas - http://www.briangreenstone.com/austin/laketravis/marinaguide.html Hope this helps.

Don Caldwell

Supercat-20 "VERTIGO"

Nacra 18 Square #9

Re: question for Texas sailors [Re: cappydec] #10228
09/09/02 09:20 AM
09/09/02 09:20 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The recommendation from Andrew to use Highland Lakes Marina for cat storage on Travis is right on. The beach orientation allows launching into the predominantly south breeze, and if there is a north breeze, the launch area is somewhat wind-protected, so you're not coming into the beach at full tilt. I would not characterize the surface as "grassy", however. Travis is *not* a constant level lake, and only becomes grassy when it stays at one level for an extended period of time with rains that allow grass to grow. Expect fist- to pea-size limestone gravel like surface. Use wheels or some kind of hull protection.

There is also storage for cats with masts up at Snady Creek Marina, however, the sailing from the beach to the main basin, where there is reliable wind, is over a mile, up a curvy creek with high hills. I've done it, but it's a chore.

Austin Yacht Club is not a storage facility. Membership is required, membership requirements include participation. Please feel welcome to join our sailboat racing club, and we have several racing opportunities for cats coming up, where you can experience the hospitality first hand..

Re: question for Texas sailors #10229
09/09/02 10:44 AM
09/09/02 10:44 AM
Texas
Bob Klein Offline OP
Bob Klein  Offline OP

Texas
I want to thank all three of you for your responses. I will plan a trip to Lake Travis in late Sept. or early Oct. and I will visit the above mentioned areas. I have beach wheels and I also realize that Lake Travis has a rocky shoreline. Visiting Austin will give me an excuse to get some good Mexican food.

I have heard that the winds are very shifty on Lake Travis. Just how bad is it or are there areas that have more constant winds.

Thanks again.

bob

Inter 18

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 682 guests, and 162 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022