04/23/07 09:13 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Guys/Gals:

Got a job interview in New Orleans. What is the cat sailing like in LA. Only sailed in Lake Charles area.

Doug

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: What is cat sailing like in the New Orleans area? [Re: ] #104515
04/24/07 07:52 AM
04/24/07 07:52 AM
South Louisiana, USA
Clayton Offline
old hand
Clayton  Offline
old hand

South Louisiana, USA
There used to be a big presence of cats in the area. Its been a while but the nicest will be on the north shore (Mandeville area). There used to be a cat club on the south shore near the end of Elysian Fields. Don't know if its still there. There was a big regatta a couple of weeks ago there and I understand it went well. The close proximity to MS is a plus. The sailing off the MS coast is really great! You are closer to OS where S2S and Island Hop is held along with a lot of other smaller races.

Good luck!

Clayton

Re: What is cat sailing like in the New Orleans area? [Re: Clayton] #104516
05/02/07 04:03 PM
05/02/07 04:03 PM
Louisiana
Scubajeep Offline
journeyman
Scubajeep  Offline
journeyman

Louisiana
Doug,

I live in Thibodaux (about 1.5 hrs south of New Orleans)…. There are cat sailors in the area but the lack of a good launch site on the south shore of Lake Pontchartrian makes it hard for us. The area that Clayton spoke of is a sand beach owned buy UNO who allows the public to use it…. (it was the old Pontchartrian beach area.) FYI…. Southern Louisiana Sailing Association used to have a lease on that property with cat wheels, lockable storage area and many many many cats parked their.) SLSA is now only a few members with sailing on Lake del Allamands. (FYI.. we will be on the lake June 6 for a fun and sail day.)

BUT once on Lake Pontchartrian the sailing is usually very good with a wide open lake. Or you can hit the Gulf coast (very close to the north shore of the lake)

If I was to move to the Southern LA I would move to the North Shore of Lake Pontchartrian. (many reasons…. With elevation being a big one.) But if you like small towns and would like to commute to N.O. then try the towns south of New Orleans….

But for sailing….. The north shore of the Lake would be your best option.

Send me an email and I’ll be gald to give you more details.

Todd Hubbell

Sailing a 1980 Hobie-18M with 1990 hulls in Southern Louisiana.
Re: What is cat sailing like in the New Orleans area? [Re: Scubajeep] #104517
05/08/07 01:37 PM
05/08/07 01:37 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Todd:

What do you know of the Ameila area?

Doug

Re: What is cat sailing like in the New Orleans area? [Re: ] #104518
05/09/07 07:56 AM
05/09/07 07:56 AM
Louisiana
Scubajeep Offline
journeyman
Scubajeep  Offline
journeyman

Louisiana
Todd:

What do you know of the Ameila area?

Doug

Ameila is near Morgan City, on the edge of Lake Palourde (I know a few people who live in the area). Which has a dicent group of of sailing (monos mostly) but their are quite of few wind surfers and kite boarders in the area. The lake is large enough to have a very good time sailing. It is also near Cypremort Point State park (googlemap it for a idea). Plenty of sailing on a big bay.

Amelia it self.... its a small town with most of the people working in the oil industry. Lots of fishing/hunting in the area. It about an hour and half from SW of New Orleans.

PM me for my email/phone # if you would like more info.

Sailing a 1980 Hobie-18M with 1990 hulls in Southern Louisiana.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 419 guests, and 114 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022