05/15/07 07:25 AM
05/15/07 07:25 AM
O
OhioSailor Offline OP
stranger
OhioSailor  Offline OP
stranger
O

My son and I started sailing his new-to-us H16 a a month ago on the first warm day here and we are having a blast. He crewed his first race with a friend from Michigan (Thanks again Tim!!!) in the OCRA Regatta, Mar 5-6 and had a blast.

We took his boat out this past weekend in some pretty heave air and had a problem with one of the rudder locks... It wouldn't stay down! I beached the boat and, upon closer inspection, found that the plastic rudder lock was mangled where it is supposed to hook into the rudder casing and hold it down. I removed it from and worked it back into useable shape with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver and it seemed to work ok for the rest of the day.

When we bought the boat, it came with a tacklebox filled with all sorts of spare parts, shackles, plugs, springy things, pins, rivots.. everything and one already busted rudder lock.

Is this a common occurance? Is there something wrong with my rig that makes it prone to eating these plastic parts, or is this just something to keep spares on hand for when they fail? Perhaps I am doing something wrong when locking the rudders down to cause this to happen?

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. I am also interested in the history of this boat. I was told it was purchased from the Nationals and has won quite a few titles. Is there a way to resraech the history? It is Sail 903 and bears the name Two Conker :-)

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Rudder Locks [Re: OhioSailor] #107014
05/15/07 07:38 AM
05/15/07 07:38 AM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
The cams do wear out. They needed to be greased to keep everything sliding together properly. (the cam faces needed to be greased, as does the plunger in the lower casting) If you have the adjustable rudder castings there is a bolt on top of the upper rudder castings, and when you replace the cam, loosen that bolt and with the rudder in the locked position and slide it as far forward as possible. Non- adjustable castings? Everything might be worn so that nothing fits together tightly anymore. The rudder will have to be redrilled to get the pin in the upper casting tight into the cam. I'm not sure what you should use to refill the old hole with to redrill the rudder blade.

Try posting on the Hobie forum too.
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/index.php?sid=e6458f9057e7c7e9dc2ea6bc8e15b64b

I'm boatless.
Re: Rudder Locks [Re: Karl_Brogger] #107015
05/15/07 07:44 AM
05/15/07 07:44 AM
O
OhioSailor Offline OP
stranger
OhioSailor  Offline OP
stranger
O

There is a bolt on top, so they are the adjustable type. The prior owners seem to have added every upgrade available at some point to this boat. Any recommendation on the type of grease to use?

Re: Rudder Locks [Re: OhioSailor] #107016
05/15/07 08:49 AM
05/15/07 08:49 AM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
I am also interested in the history of this boat. I was told it was purchased from the Nationals and has won quite a few titles. Is there a way to resraech the history? It is Sail 903 and bears the name Two Conker :-)

The boat is a 1989 Nationals model, the last year of Hobie Cat Company provided boats. It was purchased after the event by Phil Wadsworth, at the time a native of Columbus, OH.

Here's Phil's bio from the South Carolina Manufacturing Extension Partnership:
Phillip Wadsworth
NIST MEP
Phillip Wadsworth serves as the National Institute of Standards of Technology (NIST) representative on the SCMEP board of directors. He is a federal program officer in the MEP System Operation Office at the Department of Commerce’s NIST in Gaithersburg, Maryland. Wadsworth is responsible for helping centers within the MEP to reach performance and operational goals important to NIST. Before joining NIST in 2001, Wadsworth worked in industrial extension for a number of years. He was the director of outreach at Indiana Business Modernization and Technology Corporation. He also spent six years working at the Edison Welding Institute in the area of welding automation and small business outreach. Wadsworth received a B. Tech Degree in Production Engineering and Management from Loughborough University of Technology, England, in 1978 and an MS in Welding Engineering from Ohio State University in 1986. He has authored papers and presented in the area of robotic welding for small manufacturers during his career. In his free time, Wadsworth enjoys racing high-performance multi-hull sailboats.

Phil was a good sailor, but not a great one. He got married in the early 90's and his wife did not enjoy Hobie Cats as much as Phil did, so they transitioned to a larger catamaran (an F-24, I believe). After that, we lost touch as we no longer saw him at regattas.

The boat's name is derived from the Britsh term for a buckeye (conker). It's "Two Conker" because that was his second Hobie 16.

The '89 Nationals boats are notoriously heavy. I owned #937 and it weighed well over 350 lbs (320 is minimum).

Re: Rudder Locks [Re: mbounds] #107017
05/22/07 06:21 AM
05/22/07 06:21 AM
Yardley PA
DanWard Offline
enthusiast
DanWard  Offline
enthusiast

Yardley PA
Amazing...How did I know Matt would have the answer.

Re: Rudder Locks [Re: DanWard] #107018
05/22/07 07:16 AM
05/22/07 07:16 AM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
I just happened to know the guy - but I haven't heard from him in years.

It's scary what you can find out about people these days just by using Google.

Re: Rudder Locks [Re: mbounds] #107019
05/22/07 08:51 AM
05/22/07 08:51 AM
Gulfport, Florida
N
ninelives Offline
stranger
ninelives  Offline
stranger
N

Gulfport, Florida
Are you familiar with Murrays.com? They are a great source for cat parts. See "Rudder Cam Kit" item #01-2050 (listed under catamaran / rudders, etc). I would drill out the old casting carefully to the exact size needed for the new sister screws, then replace. Do not let the drill spin free as this will give an unwanted angle to the new cam. I usually replace these on a need be basis which is whenever one begins to fail which is now rare. No more drilling but just unscrew the sister srews and replace with new cam. I do lube every time I sail with Harken McLube.
Jim
F18
H16
Sunfish

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 746 guests, and 173 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022