05/23/07 10:00 AM
05/23/07 10:00 AM
F
fin. Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
fin.  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
F

There is quite a debate on the F16 forum about "mast tip weight" and Alu v Carbon masts.

Any opinions? Seems to some folks carbon is the cure for everything. I'm not so sure.

Last edited by Tikipete; 05/23/07 10:55 AM.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: aluminum v carbon [Re: fin.] #108140
05/23/07 10:16 AM
05/23/07 10:16 AM
Looking for a Job, I got credi...
scooby_simon Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
scooby_simon  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There is quite a debate on the F16 forum about "mast tip weight" and Alu v Carbon masts.

Any opinions? Seems to some folks carbon is the cure for everything. I'm not so sure.

btw- I think the British army is going to start making tanks (partly) out of carbon. That can't help world prices.

Surely it's the US defence requirements that are pushing the price of Carbon......

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: aluminum v carbon [Re: scooby_simon] #108141
05/23/07 10:31 AM
05/23/07 10:31 AM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
More like Bo(e)ing and Airbus building mega-airliners..

Re: aluminum v carbon [Re: scooby_simon] #108142
05/23/07 10:32 AM
05/23/07 10:32 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA

btw- I think the British army is going to start making tanks (partly) out of carbon. That can't help world prices.

Surely it's the US defence requirements that are pushing the price of Carbon......

Oh for the love of god do we have to do this here! Keep it to sailing please!

Carbon is better than aluminum, for the weight savings alone.

Putting a weight in the tip is just stupid. You either allow carbon sticks unrestricted or ban it!

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: aluminum v carbon [Re: David Ingram] #108143
05/23/07 10:54 AM
05/23/07 10:54 AM
F
fin. Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
fin.  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
F

Oh for the love of god do we have to do this here! Keep it to sailing please!

Carbon is better than aluminum, for the weight savings alone.

Putting a weight in the tip is just stupid. You either allow carbon sticks unrestricted or ban it!

OMG! Sorry Ding, I wasn't thinking. I'll fix it.

The debate is actually centered around whether or not carbon really is worth the weight savings. Not eveyone agrees. Personally, I don't know.

Last edited by Tikipete; 05/23/07 10:56 AM.
Re: aluminum v carbon [Re: fin.] #108144
05/23/07 11:21 AM
05/23/07 11:21 AM
Connecticut
Eric Anderson Offline
Eric Anderson  Offline

Connecticut
Dude,
It depends a lot on what you want.

Carbon fiber epoxy composites have several advantages when used properly.
1. Weight savings. Prepreg Carbon epoxy is about 40% better strength to weight then aluminum. Sometimes this can translate into a significantly lighter part. You start running into wall thickness issues and buckling problems in some cases.
2. The carbon can be applied along any axis allowing the mast bend fore and aft vs side to side to be changed. It can be modified if it is not quite right in the first place. Ie start with is slightly soft and add uni carbon to get it exactly how you want it.
3. Carbon parts can be repaired with reasonable success.
4. It lends itself to home building techniques
5. It can be the difference between righting a boat unassisted and needing assistance.
6. Better reproducibility from part to part if quality control is high.
6. It looks cool.

Aluminum masts, etc are expensive initially because the cost to build a die is high. Mast blanks must be ordered in large groups to keep costs low. It costs a lot to change mast profiles ie buy a new die. There are definite quality control issues with aluminum masts, i.e. different weights etc. They need to be anodized.

Downside to carbon parts.
1. The cost of carbon parts can be much higher. Masts, etc are built in an autoclave and cured at high temp and 5-6 atmospheres of pressure
2. Material availability is a problem today
3. The failure mode of carbon is often catastrophic

Eric

Re: aluminum v carbon [Re: Eric Anderson] #108145
05/23/07 11:30 AM
05/23/07 11:30 AM
F
fin. Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
fin.  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
F

Dude,

Eric

I'd like to see the F16 class grow and still keep my costs down.

For me, the weight and performance are ideal. I'd be happy to freeze developement at this point. At the same time, I fear that would be the death knell of the class.

Hence the debate.

Re: aluminum v carbon [Re: fin.] #108146
05/23/07 12:31 PM
05/23/07 12:31 PM
MERRITTISLAND, FL
Matt M Offline
addict
Matt M  Offline
addict

MERRITTISLAND, FL
[quote

For me, the weight and performance are ideal. I'd be happy to freeze developement at this point. At the same time, I fear that would be the death knell of the class.

Hence the debate. [/quote]

For 99.9% of the people out there, there are more performance gains to be had by just learning how to sail better with what you have. Thinking you can buy performance is not a reasonable expectation and a very bad investment no matter if it is only $5 more expensive. It is just as easy to sail poorly with a carbon mast as an aluminum one.

Matt

Re: aluminum v carbon [Re: Matt M] #108147
05/23/07 01:15 PM
05/23/07 01:15 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I must say that the aluminum mast in use on the Blade F16s currently is one of the lightest masts I've ever experienced. I can't imagine you will make any significant weight savings by going carbon.

Jake Kohl
Re: aluminum v carbon [Re: Eric Anderson] #108148
05/23/07 01:20 PM
05/23/07 01:20 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Aluminum masts, etc are expensive initially because the cost to build a die is high. Mast blanks must be ordered in large groups to keep costs low. It costs a lot to change mast profiles ie buy a new die. There are definite quality control issues with aluminum masts, i.e. different weights etc. They need to be anodized.

Interestingly enough, the die costs aren't that high in a relative sense. As a matter of fact the mould costs, needed for carbon mast production, are much higher.

I know as I've been involved in some actually production runs of Superwing alu masts and alu beams.

It even turned out that there is no reason why a new die can't be made with each new batch of 30 to 40 masts.

Quality control issues are indeed encountered in alu mast extrusion but this can be solved by just picking the best masts out of a batch and resmelting the left-overs. For the costs per mast this is no biggie at all. Think of it this way a batch of 30 alu masts incl die fabrication, anodising and shipping will only get you 3 to 4 carbon mast blanks without mould costs or shipping costs. So even if you discard halve of the alu mast per batch (which is waaaay more then you need too) then still the alu mast is 5 to 4 times less expensive then carbon. And that this doesn't include the cost for carbon mast mould yet.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: aluminum v carbon [Re: Matt M] #108149
05/23/07 01:28 PM
05/23/07 01:28 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
[quote

Hence the debate.

For 99.9% of the people out there, there are more performance gains to be had by just learning how to sail better with what you have. Thinking you can buy performance is not a reasonable expectation and a very bad investment no matter if it is only $5 more expensive. It is just as easy to sail poorly with a carbon mast as an aluminum one.

Matt [/quote]

Unfortunatly 99.9% of the people out there don't believe that.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: aluminum v carbon [Re: Eric Anderson] #108150
05/23/07 02:17 PM
05/23/07 02:17 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Dude,

Carbon fiber epoxy composites have several advantages when used properly.
1. Weight savings. Prepreg Carbon epoxy is about 40% better strength to weight then aluminum. Sometimes this can translate into a significantly lighter part. You start running into wall thickness issues and buckling problems in some cases.
2. The carbon can be applied along any axis allowing the mast bend fore and aft vs side to side to be changed. It can be modified if it is not quite right in the first place. Ie start with is slightly soft and add uni carbon to get it exactly how you want it.
3. Carbon parts can be repaired with reasonable success.
4. It lends itself to home building techniques
5. It can be the difference between righting a boat unassisted and needing assistance.
6. Better reproducibility from part to part if quality control is high.
6. It looks cool.

Downside to carbon parts.
1. The cost of carbon parts can be much higher. Masts, etc are built in an autoclave and cured at high temp and 5-6 atmospheres of pressure
2. Material availability is a problem today
3. The failure mode of carbon is often catastrophic

Eric

Just a couple more pro-carbon comments:

The couple of pounds on the tip means

1. The difference between righting the cat for a lightweight or a fit woman (without aids).
2. a significant decrease in pitching.

Re: aluminum v carbon [Re: ] #108151
05/23/07 02:31 PM
05/23/07 02:31 PM
F
fin. Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
fin.  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
F

"1.4.5 The weight that is measured at the mainsail hoist height of a mast lying perfectly horizontal with its base supported at the bottom edge of the mast section is referred to as the "mast tip weight". The minimum mast tip weight of a fully fitted mast, excluding standing rigging, is set at 6.00 kg for reasons of seaworthiness and to guarantee fair racing."

This is confusing to me, but I don't think any weight is actually added. Rather, a mast is either legal or it isn't, when weighed in the manner mentioned above.

Re: aluminum v carbon [Re: fin.] #108152
05/23/07 02:38 PM
05/23/07 02:38 PM
scooby_simon Offline
scooby_simon  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

"1.4.5 The weight that is measured at the mainsail hoist height of a mast lying perfectly horizontal with its base supported at the bottom edge of the mast section is referred to as the "mast tip weight". The minimum mast tip weight of a fully fitted mast, excluding standing rigging, is set at 6.00 kg for reasons of seaworthiness and to guarantee fair racing."

This is confusing to me, but I don't think any weight is actually added. Rather, a mast is either legal or it isn't, when weighed in the manner mentioned above.

Maybe if a mast did not measure for the tip weight rule, then you add lead to the top around the hoist block. Tornado's were doing it for years to make their masts measure !

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: aluminum v carbon [Re: scooby_simon] #108153
05/23/07 02:50 PM
05/23/07 02:50 PM
FL
sail7seas Offline
addict
sail7seas  Offline
addict

FL

>December 17, 2002
EU Imposes $83M in Fines for Price-Fixing

BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP) - The European Commission on Tuesday fined 11 companies $83 million in two separate price-fixing scandals involving graphite and spices.

In the graphite cartel, eight companies were assessed a total of 60.6 million euro ($62.4 million)for violating EU competition rules between 1993 and 1998.

The Commission said that a two-year investigation found that the companies held regular meetings to divvy up the market and keep prices at inflated levels. Specialty graphites are used in everything from engineering to electronics.

Germany's SGL Carbon AG received the highest fine of 27.75 million euro ($28.57 million), while Japan's Toyo Tanso must pay 10.79 million euro ($11.11 million).

Other fines levied include 6.97 million euro ($7.18 million) for France's Carbon Lorraine SA, 6.97 million euro ($7.18 million) for Japan's Tokai Carbon Co., and 3.58 million euro ($3.69 million) for Ibiden Co. and Nippon Steel Chemical Co. also of Japan. Another two Japanese firms, Itech and Intech Inc. were fined 980,000 euro ($1 million).

SGL's fine was the highest ``because it was the ringleader,'' the Commission said, while the other companies got reductions in exchange for their cooperation in the probe. U.S.-based GraphTech International Ltd. was given immunity ``because it revealed the cartel,'' the Commission said.
<

Re: aluminum v carbon [Re: sail7seas] #108154
05/23/07 03:59 PM
05/23/07 03:59 PM
scooby_simon Offline
scooby_simon  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

>December 17, 2002
EU Imposes $83M in Fines for Price-Fixing

BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP) - The European Commission on Tuesday fined 11 companies $83 million in two separate price-fixing scandals involving graphite and spices.

In the graphite cartel, eight companies were assessed a total of 60.6 million euro ($62.4 million)for violating EU competition rules between 1993 and 1998.

The Commission said that a two-year investigation found that the companies held regular meetings to divvy up the market and keep prices at inflated levels. Specialty graphites are used in everything from engineering to electronics.

Germany's SGL Carbon AG received the highest fine of 27.75 million euro ($28.57 million), while Japan's Toyo Tanso must pay 10.79 million euro ($11.11 million).

Other fines levied include 6.97 million euro ($7.18 million) for France's Carbon Lorraine SA, 6.97 million euro ($7.18 million) for Japan's Tokai Carbon Co., and 3.58 million euro ($3.69 million) for Ibiden Co. and Nippon Steel Chemical Co. also of Japan. Another two Japanese firms, Itech and Intech Inc. were fined 980,000 euro ($1 million).

SGL's fine was the highest ``because it was the ringleader,'' the Commission said, while the other companies got reductions in exchange for their cooperation in the probe. U.S.-based GraphTech International Ltd. was given immunity ``because it revealed the cartel,'' the Commission said.
<

FFS it was meant in jest......

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: aluminum v carbon [Re: sail7seas] #108155
05/23/07 06:06 PM
05/23/07 06:06 PM
Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
ncik Offline
old hand
ncik  Offline
old hand

Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
That was five years ago too...

The word in Australia is that the price is coming down again and is almost back to where it was before the apparent increase in demand from the aircraft industry a few years ago. More factories are coming on line, supply and demand strikes again.

Re: aluminum v carbon [Re: ncik] #108156
05/23/07 08:22 PM
05/23/07 08:22 PM
South Australia
Darryl_Barrett Offline
old hand
Darryl_Barrett  Offline
old hand

South Australia
I concur, the prices in Australia for carbon and in particular its availability has improved dramatically over the last few months. Only 9 months ago it was impossible to procure certain weights of carbon regardless of their cost but they are now available and some even at lower costs than three years ago. I hope this is a constant trend as if it continues it will completely obsolete any argument between carbon and aluminium and carbon and lesser glass fabric’s if/when their respective prices become equitable. Ready availability with good demand SHOULD always reduce price

Re: aluminum v carbon [Re: Darryl_Barrett] #108157
05/23/07 08:32 PM
05/23/07 08:32 PM
F
fin. Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
fin.  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
F

. . . I hope this is a constant trend as if it continues it will completely obsolete any argument between carbon and aluminium . . .

Huh? You're talking about price. You have not addressed the central issue: Is carbon a better material for masts than Aluminum?

Re: aluminum v carbon [Re: fin.] #108158
05/23/07 08:40 PM
05/23/07 08:40 PM
South Australia
Darryl_Barrett Offline
old hand
Darryl_Barrett  Offline
old hand

South Australia
YES, YES, YES! In the same way that aluminium is a better material for masts than timber was. Its a matter of what is the best material available in which historical time. (I think that is the answer to your question in the non negative???)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 597 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022