08/01/07 10:09 AM
08/01/07 10:09 AM
Fairhope, Alabama
cookwithgas Offline
stranger
cookwithgas  Offline
stranger

Fairhope, Alabama
This evening I am going to attempt to repair the two soft spots on my 16. Each is in front of the tramp support and each has an old, 5" inspection port. I bought two new inspection hatches so the old ones are out. I noticed a lot of moisture in there so it is drying today.

I propose a different method which I will try this evening. Since the big holes are already there, I'm going to try to inject the epoxy (WEST Systems) between the layers at the port with a long piece of smashed copper. I drilled four holes in the end of the copper and didn't smash it all the way so the epoxy can flow out the ends. I'll clamp the layers together - again through the holes. I may also prop some pieces of wood inside the hull to hold up on the layer while it dries.

I'll take some pictures and post them and advise on how everything worked out. I even toyed with the idea of cramming some epoxy-wetted fiberglass between the layers, then clamping. I just don't like the idea of drilling lots of little holes in my hull. More to follow.....

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: soft spot on hobie [Re: cookwithgas] #108341
08/02/07 07:58 AM
08/02/07 07:58 AM
Fairhope, Alabama
cookwithgas Offline
stranger
cookwithgas  Offline
stranger

Fairhope, Alabama
Last evening I was able to do some work on the soft spots. I used my "injector extension" in stead of drilling holes and I think I was able to get epoxy in all the soft places. I'll be able to tell more this afternoon when I remove the clamps.

The pictures were taken before mixing the epoxy, then the last one after clean-up. I didn't take any during the process - sticky camera is no beuno.

Attached Files
Re: soft spot on hobie [Re: cookwithgas] #108342
08/02/07 08:10 AM
08/02/07 08:10 AM
Fairhope, Alabama
cookwithgas Offline
stranger
cookwithgas  Offline
stranger

Fairhope, Alabama
I need to add this comment - Two things the photos do not show - I used sticks inside the hull cut to length so they push up and act as clamps. Also, the JB weld released from the syringe and that was a good thing because after injecting the first fill, I had to retract the plunger which sucked the epoxy back in to the syringe! The JB Weld acted as a nice seal for when I put the syringe back on the extension to keep it from leaking.

By removing the syringe, I was able to retract the plunger, refill it, then inject some more. I injected in each hull the equivalent of five pumps of West System epoxy.

That's all for now. More photos tomorrow.

Re: soft spot on hobie [Re: cookwithgas] #108343
08/02/07 01:30 PM
08/02/07 01:30 PM
Fairhope, Alabama
cookwithgas Offline
stranger
cookwithgas  Offline
stranger

Fairhope, Alabama
OK, the repair is complete. It's not perfect but I can now walk on it and the hatch opens and closes nicely. I installed a fat bag too. My recommendation is to not install ports in this location in the first place. Attached is a picture of the repair and also my sunfish cradle under the Hobie trailer.

Attached Files
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 597 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022