09/23/02 01:19 PM
09/23/02 01:19 PM
Fulshear, TX
SGalway Offline OP
journeyman
SGalway  Offline OP
journeyman

Fulshear, TX
I am looking for advise on setting up a P19mx with a pole and spin. I have the big jib with the tack almost at deck level. This arrangement does not leave a lot of room for a pole.

My question is, has anyone tried (and succeded) to retrofit a spinpole under the jib? I envision the pole taking an absolute beating from waves, being that close to the water.

Once this matter is out of the way, anyone know of a good place to get a pole and chute?

Thanks,

Shannon Galway

P19MX

Shannon Galway
Fulshear, TX
YoNav! Flying Phantom
www.yonav.net
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Prindle 19 Spin Setup [Re: SGalway] #10918
09/23/02 03:53 PM
09/23/02 03:53 PM
New Jersey
Bob_Fraser Offline
stranger
Bob_Fraser  Offline
stranger

New Jersey
I sail P19MX too. I sailed my boat with a spinnaker before upgrading the sails. I have come to the conclusion that if You want to sail the MX rig with a spinnaker forget about the big Jib and go back to your old jib or sail it without a jib. With The MX jib the tack is so close to the deck that the pole could dip in the water when you were sailing

Bob Fraser
H20
Re: Prindle 19 Spin Setup [Re: SGalway] #10919
09/23/02 07:24 PM
09/23/02 07:24 PM
Pensacola, Florida / Katy, Tex...
Cookie Monster Offline
enthusiast
Cookie Monster  Offline
enthusiast

Pensacola, Florida / Katy, Tex...
Shannon,

My crew and I just set up a snuffer rig on his P19MX. Have only been out with it one time and it worked great. After a lot of measuring and trying to figure out the best way to do this, we finally decided to "trim" the MX jib. We basically took a slice off the bottom. Held the clew where it was, (in fact didn't even have to replace the grommet) and shortened the luff by raising the tack about 12-13 inches. Yes, you lose a little sail area (about 3 sq. ft.), but have the advantage of the snuffer spinnaker. By doing this we held the location of the pole up out of the water (where they recommend it) and not subject to dipping it as badly as if you lowered it to the same spot as the bowsprit. This seemed like the best way to do it. Be glad to send you some pictures when we take it out next time.

I asked Randy Smyth the best way to do this. He has used a spinnaker with his MX, but it wasn't a snuffer rig. He pretty much replace the bowsprit with the pole and used it like that. Of course he was launching the spinnaker off the deck. One suggestion was to offset the pole on the front crossbeam, but hold the tack end in place. This looked like it would work, but sure wouldn't have been pretty. There is something to be said for being symmetrical.

I know exactly what you're going through trying to figure it out. Be glad to share the info anytime.

Let me know if you want to discuss.

Don Cook

Don Cook ARC22 #2226 ADRENALIN
Re: Prindle 19 Spin Setup [Re: Cookie Monster] #10920
09/23/02 08:14 PM
09/23/02 08:14 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
I have been helping Harry Murphey with his MX conversion to a chute. He has the max mast rake he can get as per Randy. Then he had Randy build a smaller jib with the chute in mind. he uses a Nacra 6.0 bridle foil to stiffen the boat His pole will attach just under his foil and be sufficently high enough off the water for using a bag and later on a snuffer of some kind.

His thinking is that he will have optimized his upwind, reaching and down wind performance by loosing some of the jib. He also noticed that the Nacra 6.0's were not furling their jib with a Smyth chute so he ought to be able to carry all three sails.

Let me know what you decide so that I can pass your solution on to him.

take care

Mark

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Prindle 19 Spin Setup [Re: SGalway] #10921
09/24/02 10:23 AM
09/24/02 10:23 AM
Fulshear, TX
SGalway Offline OP
journeyman
SGalway  Offline OP
journeyman

Fulshear, TX
This is Randy's old boat "Yo Baby!" My wife and I purchased it about 2 months ago.

When in Ft. Walton I asked him how he rigged the spin on it and he said, as you have already, that he replaced the "bow sprit" with a pole. After sailing the boat a few times in the surf off Galveston, that will be way too low to the water for my liking. I do like the idea of a smaller jib. This solves two problems, 1.) Getting the pole higher out of the water, 2.) Elimanating the need for diamond wires on the pole since the guy wires going to the bows will take the upward component of force.

I can see a lot of tinkering in my immediate future. Thanks for the suggestions, and keep them coming.

Thanks,

Shannon Galway

P19MX

Shannon Galway
Fulshear, TX
YoNav! Flying Phantom
www.yonav.net
Re: Prindle 19 Spin Setup [Re: SGalway] #10922
09/24/02 05:14 PM
09/24/02 05:14 PM
Andrew Offline
enthusiast
Andrew  Offline
enthusiast

That's how I run mine. I have a two-piece carbon pole which I run about 6" below the forestay bridle, and bend the tip down several inches with spectra lines back to the bows. I have a 12' pole and run an F18 chute sheeted to the main beam. Not surprisingly, I'm looking for a slightly larger chute. I plan to be at the Galveston Bay Chute Out on October 12 that Scott Tuma is organizing. He's the P-19 guru for the area, and may even have his boat there. I am running the halyard a lot like the new Tornado rig, with an eye almost at the masthead and a block on a 20" spectra leash which is free to run on another line attached thru the luff track to both sides of the mast. This forces the mast to rotate when the chute is up and solves the main problem with the typical spinn tangs, which try to de-rotate the mast.

anyway, good luck, and hope to see you at the Chute Out.

Andrew Tatton Nacra 20 "Wiggle Stick" #266 Nacra 18 Square #12
Re: Prindle 19 Spin Setup [Re: Andrew] #10923
09/24/02 07:48 PM
09/24/02 07:48 PM
Newport, RI
wildtsail Offline
old hand
wildtsail  Offline
old hand

Newport, RI
hey,

I have a 250 Sq foot spinnaker I have been using on my h-18 that I bought new from Randy at Spring Fever this past year. I selling it. The pole probably would not work on a 19 MX but I would think the chute would. It is bigger than the f-18 chute. I-20 runs a 270 so I would guess that a 250 sounds about right for the 19MX. It is a cool orange and black pattern. I attached a picture of it on its way up. It was light air. This was the Around Aquidneck race. We launched it and had to untie the sheets, untangle them and retie them and still went about 10 miles ahead of a few Inter 20s and Nacra 6.0s who had started with us. They only passed us when it came time to drop the chutes. It is made out of airex and was 810 new. It has about 5-10 uses on it.

-Todd

Attached Files
10967-18.jpg (44 downloads)
Re: Prindle 19 Spin Setup [Re: wildtsail] #10924
09/25/02 10:51 AM
09/25/02 10:51 AM
Mesa, AZ
basketcase Offline
basketcase  Offline

Mesa, AZ
Hey Todd, check your email. I am kind of interested in the setup.

Jonathan Grant

Mesa, AZ

P19 (292)

P.S. The attachment did not work.

Re: Prindle 19 Spin Setup [Re: SGalway] #10925
09/26/02 09:18 PM
09/26/02 09:18 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
I ran a 15 foot pole with a 460 sq. ft chute on my P-19MX. I used a strut under the bridle to hold the pole down and then tied the jib off to the pole. The pole was carbon with spreaders under it. It was low to the water, snapped it once in a post hurricane swell during a New England 100. After that I ran a piece of Spectra from almost the end of the pole to the highest point under the jib luff and tied it off to form a preventer. The extra sail area is awesome ,it's a shame to reduce it.

Todd A. Hart

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 654 guests, and 156 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022