07/29/07 07:40 AM
07/29/07 07:40 AM
Yardley PA
DanWard Offline
enthusiast
DanWard  Offline
enthusiast

Yardley PA
That is a good question Mark and one central to the issue of growing the sport. As one of the east coast H-17 guys I can tell you the hardware is well down on my list of considerations. If it were the primary consideration I would be sailing an A (BTW. I would love to try yours sometime). For me fleet size and schedule dictate that I sail the H-17. The HCA program of weekend regattas fits my schedule. That is; fewer but larger blocks of time vs more but smaller blocks of time. I can justify the hassle of traveling if I get a full weekend of racing and the beer is free. Now if only Hobie would get around to producing that A cat things could get interesting.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: The racing in the A-class is growing and getti [Re: dacarls] #112780
07/30/07 01:04 AM
07/30/07 01:04 AM
NZ
A
Aerynt Offline
Aerynt  Offline
A

NZ
We are hoping to see this nifty new Lindahl design tomorrow at the Silver Lake A-cat Invitational!!

So, did you get to see it and how did it go ?

Re: The racing in the A-class is growing and getti [Re: ] #112781
07/30/07 05:30 PM
07/30/07 05:30 PM
New Hampshire, USA
windswept Offline
addict
windswept  Offline
addict

New Hampshire, USA
A-Class Worlds update. I believe that the count is confirmed at 91 entries so far with US entries closed down. So only 9 spots left for international sailors. These may already be gone and the site just has not been updated yet. This should be a great regatta.

Tom Siders
A-Cat USA-79
Tornado US775
Re: The racing in the A-class is growing and getti [Re: Mark Schneider] #112782
07/31/07 04:30 PM
07/31/07 04:30 PM
Maryland, USA
PRagen Offline
journeyman
PRagen  Offline
journeyman

Maryland, USA
Mark,

I purchased a (used) F16 after seriously looking at (used) A cats.

For me, the primary considerations were:
- Cost
- Solo sailing capability
- Light weight boat

Bottom line is I most often sail by myself and need to easily manage the boat on the beach myself. I also was not going to be buying a new boat.

I went with the F16 over an A cat because of its spinnaker. The cost, solo ability, and light weight factors were fairly even between he boats. The A cat almost won me because of the large fleet nearby in Annapolis, and would have won out if I lived there, but I am a recreational racer only making a couple weekend races a year, if that, so the strict class competition was secondary.

Patrick Ragen
Taipan 4.9 USA 274
Re: The racing in the A-class is growing and getti [Re: PRagen] #112783
07/31/07 06:26 PM
07/31/07 06:26 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Hi Pat

Your descion process was pretty much as Wouter described for the average F16 sailor. Now, the tough question...

What do you do to develop a fleet of F16's....

Do the F16's want a class with the fleet of boats in the area or is the club scene just what the doctor ordered.

Is it important to get a regatta or two with the Nacra F17s at Sandy Hook for a single handed spin class?

Is it important or a goal of the current F16 sailor that more sailors switch over to your version of fun... or is this just not an issue.

After all, the purpose of this thread is to generate some discusion on growing a class.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: The racing in the A-class is growing and getti [Re: Mark Schneider] #112784
08/01/07 02:40 PM
08/01/07 02:40 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
American Yacht Club (North East US) is looking to add more high performance dinghys to their regatta ... (they have 505's and IC's now).

Sailing anarchy thread SA page

Problem is.... NOBODY can make a class because they have small fleets of everything else ....

Steve Clark, (A cat, IC, and not to mentino former owner of Vanguard ) floated this proposal

Kevin:
How about using a formula similar to the OSGP?
Getting critical mass in single fleets is tough, so open it up and you might get:
Some Swift Solos ( NYCer etc)
A Flying Squirrel ( Ballywho)
The Local 14
ADK, and ECS and some traveling 14s from Newport.
A Vector or two.
Some 29ers.
Certainly enough boats that are quick, and if people can stay casual about the handicapscene, or use UK Portsmouth numbers and what the OSGP has developed, it would be a pleasant end of the season event for the northern crowd.
Most of the Farm team is committed to ICs that weekend, but that doesn't mean the boats can't play.
SHC

Class growth is difficult when you have small fleet... but you have to keep at it.

Sounds like a great solution and for a yacht club with one design blinders formerly on... this would be a HUGE step in a positive direction.

Last edited by Mark Schneider; 08/01/07 02:47 PM.

crac.sailregattas.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (TimTT), 600 guests, and 94 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022