09/01/07 10:09 PM
09/01/07 10:09 PM
B
buyer Offline OP
stranger
buyer  Offline OP
stranger
B

ok I am a newbie and plan on getting my H16 out on the water for the first time. The local marine forecast is calling for wind speeds between 5-9 knots. I'm want a nice easy sail for the first outing and knot flying hull (that will come later), but is 5-9 knots enough wind to sail a H16 or will I just be wasting my time? Should I wait for stonger winds on another day?

Thanks for the advice!

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Wind Speed [Re: buyer] #116064
09/01/07 10:18 PM
09/01/07 10:18 PM
Norman,OK
gree2056 Offline
old hand
gree2056  Offline
old hand

Norman,OK
5-9knots.... that could be a wild ride if you are solo. You will definently not be wasting you time.

I don't want to scare you but the boat should be popping a hull up readily in 9 knots. But there are alot of ways to make it a little less crazy, travel out, crank on the downhaul.

Once you go cat you never go back! Nacra 5.2 (Elsies)#1499, running an inter17 spin!
Re: Wind Speed [Re: gree2056] #116065
09/02/07 09:55 AM
09/02/07 09:55 AM
North Carolina
hrtsailor Offline
enthusiast
hrtsailor  Offline
enthusiast

North Carolina
I sail solo most of the time and 5 to 9 knots (6 to 10 mph) is adequate. I usually don't plan to sail when the forecast is 5 to 10 mph, always waiting for the 10 to 20 forecast. You shouldn't have any trouble depending where you sail. If it is a lake and there are a few boaters around, you should be fine. If you are going off the beach into the ocean, it would be better to have a crew though it might be difficult to get out with a light breeze. Actually it would be better in either case not to go out solo the first time.

If you are going out for the first time, you might want to practice righting the boat in a controlled situation. Make sure you have all the required safety gear and wear a PFD.

Howard

Re: Wind Speed [Re: hrtsailor] #116066
09/02/07 03:19 PM
09/02/07 03:19 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

NEVER NEVER NEVER go out alone no matter the wind speed. *(*)(* can happen and a demast is no fun. I see it happen all the time. Even to the 25 year sailors. Always have someone to get help for you.

Sail safe, sail long.

Doug

Re: Wind Speed [Re: ] #116067
09/02/07 05:08 PM
09/02/07 05:08 PM
Albuquerque NM
Banzilla Offline
enthusiast
Banzilla  Offline
enthusiast

Albuquerque NM
When I say I solo my 16, I mean that I am alone on the boat, I do this more often than not. However, I will not go out on the water if there is not at least one other boater friend (power or sail) on the water.

So, when you talk about going solo, that is fine, just make sure you have some sort of rescue out there with you.

Sam

[b] Sail Like you have a Pair
Re: Wind Speed [Re: Banzilla] #116068
09/03/07 11:50 AM
09/03/07 11:50 AM
North Carolina
hrtsailor Offline
enthusiast
hrtsailor  Offline
enthusiast

North Carolina
Doug,

Saying that you should never sail solo is unrealistic. I agree with Sam that you shouldn't sail when there is no one else on the water. The H-14 and the H-17 were both intended as solo boats. The H-16 is easy to handle alone. I have been doing it for over 20 years and I have had the mast come down while out on the wire, solo. It was not a big problem to recover. I was on a lake. I don't sail solo on the ocean. It is much safer with 2 on the boat, especially going out through the surf. I also sail a monohull, a Cape Cod catboat, on a large lake and have been out during the week in the fall when no other boat was in sight but I was very cautious. I have been sailing that boat for 35 years. It is a '72 that we bought new.

Howard

Re: Wind Speed [Re: hrtsailor] #116069
09/04/07 12:02 AM
09/04/07 12:02 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What I was saying is NEVER go out without another boat. I could not tell you the times lately I have had to go get help. Last time was a newbie that went out without a proper fitting PFD. He go separated from the boat on a capsize. Time the boat was back over and I got back with jetski help, it took us 45 minutes to find him in the three foot chop on the bay. His head barely has above water when the PFD pulled arm back and tried to come off because it was to small to latch up. I was just about to call the coast guard. ALL kind of things can happen out there. ALWAYS have a extra boat to get help.

That is what I meant. Yea I sail most of the time alone on current Mystere 4.3, learning the chute for when I get a Blade.

Doug

Attached Files
117366-betterpicof4.3.jpg (100 downloads)
Re: Wind Speed [Re: ] #116070
09/04/07 09:50 AM
09/04/07 09:50 AM
North Carolina
hrtsailor Offline
enthusiast
hrtsailor  Offline
enthusiast

North Carolina
Doug,

I agree with you. Anything can happen and most likely will. I remember helping 3 fellows with an H-18 they were trying to rig. It was new to them. They had connected the main sheet block to the cross bar on the tiller. It would have been safe because as soon as the wind blew it would have turned the boat into the wind. I pointed out their mistake and showed them what I could. I later thought maybe I had made a mistake making it possible for them to get out if they had that little knowledge of the boat. I could have offered to go out with them and give them some basics. The point is that there are people out there who need to learn the basics before they try to sail. As you mentioned earlier, things happen that even experienced sailors can't anticipate. A line can break, a storm can come up unexpectedly, or a shackle can let go. On the other hand if you don't leave the dock, you miss the pleasure of sailing.

Howard

Re: Wind Speed [Re: hrtsailor] #116071
09/04/07 12:29 PM
09/04/07 12:29 PM
B
buyer Offline OP
stranger
buyer  Offline OP
stranger
B

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I did go out and was sure glad I did because the wind (5-8 knots)was perfect for a nice easy start but not so strong that I couldn't handle the boat. I'm looking forward to getting out there again!

A good question was raised about one should be careful sailing solo. I have to wait for a willing crew before I can go out. Does anyone know of any websites or blogs that posts people in need of or has available crew?

BTW I did have a crew (wife and daughter) with me and wouldn't think of going out solo at least at my skill level.

Re: Wind Speed [Re: buyer] #116072
09/04/07 09:27 PM
09/04/07 09:27 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I did go out and was sure glad I did because the wind (5-8 knots)was perfect for a nice easy start but not so strong that I couldn't handle the boat. I'm looking forward to getting out there again!

A good question was raised about one should be careful sailing solo. I have to wait for a willing crew before I can go out. Does anyone know of any websites or blogs that posts people in need of or has available crew?

BTW I did have a crew (wife and daughter) with me and wouldn't think of going out solo at least at my skill level.

It is NOT whether you are the only one on the boat. It IS that you should never be the ONLY boat out. That is what I am trying to say. ALWAYS have another boat around to go get help.

Plan ahead and live to sail another day, THAT is what I am trying to stress. I have been at this for 27 years and have SEEN it ALL.

Doug

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 471 guests, and 64 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022