10/10/02 11:24 PM
10/10/02 11:24 PM
S
Surf Offline OP
journeyman
Surf  Offline OP
journeyman
S

Hello, we are trying to solicit help to get some H14’s and parts for our junior/youth sailing program. We let the kids at our club decide, which boat they like the best out of the Wave, Dragoon (the Dragoon is also to darn expensive – tried it at the US Saiilng Assoc. Fast & Fun program), Mystere 4.3 (Some kids tried Mystere in OH), and H14, and it was overwhelming that the kids want the H14. Yes, we have tried all these boats. So based on this we are trying to locate H14’s, parts, etc. So any info anyone would have on H14’s that people would like to donate to our junior program (using the H16 for our youth age kids – donations in this area are also appreciated) would be greatly appreciated.

We are also budgeting some funding to get some new H14's shipped in from Hobie Europe or Hobie Brazil. So if anyone wants a NEW H14, the more we order the cheaper the boats will be. We will be ordering H14’s as standard and in the turbo option. So, make your orders now. We are located in Washington State.

Thanks!

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Help with Junior Multihull Program [Re: Surf] #11611
10/11/02 09:15 PM
10/11/02 09:15 PM
S
Surf Offline OP
journeyman
Surf  Offline OP
journeyman
S

NO HELP or SUGGESTIONS?????

Re: Help with Junior Multihull Program [Re: Surf] #11612
10/11/02 10:38 PM
10/11/02 10:38 PM
Toledo, Ohio (western end of ...
Mike Fahle Offline
addict
Mike Fahle  Offline
addict

Hi Stranger, That's strange - wasn't this forum advertised to eliminate anonymity?! Anyway, if you want help getting Mystere 4.3s, let me know. It is pretty hard to get excited about Hobie 14s.

Re: Help with Junior Multihull Program [Re: Mike Fahle] #11613
10/13/02 03:26 PM
10/13/02 03:26 PM
reidqa Offline
journeyman
reidqa  Offline
journeyman

Surf,

Please first of all state your group, address, name etc. The soliciting of contributions without such information can be misintepreted.

Per our emails, why not pursue cheaper boats, not of catamaran design. This will avail your organization of many more opportunities.

I still do not undertstand your wanting to purchase offshore when the converstion will double the USA pricing structure.

Once again it is important to become a public person with contact in the eyes of all.

Mike

Re: Help with Junior Multihull Program [Re: Surf] #11614
10/13/02 06:46 PM
10/13/02 06:46 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi

Well, I would just like to state that I think it is great that you where able allow your youth group try all of those different catamarans. Plus, It's great the that kid got to make the choice. Therefore, I would bet that keeping them interested in Sailing will go a lot farther.

I'm curious how you where able to try these different boats? Plus, It would be awesome if the manufactures would come together and have each supply one boat that could go from which sailing club. Thus, it would allow the kids to choose and hopefully grow the sport.

Anyways, I wish you good luck in getting these Hobie 14's

Re: Help with Junior Multihull Program [Re: reidqa] #11615
10/13/02 10:42 PM
10/13/02 10:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

First off, Mike we already have monohulls in our club and the kids want multihulls to. If we are a multihull and monohull club. Also we are soliciting if anything information how to located Hobie 14’s and parts, the contributions is between us and whoever. So I can email anyone that would like us to contact them. Just looking for a little up as we have the kids just not enough boats to accommodate them, luckily winter is here and we only have two more sailing days planned.

Second Mike why would it, as you state, “It is pretty hard to get excited about Hobie 14s.” Seems our kids do not think so, even after they tried the other boats? Seems the kids think the Hobie 14 gives them feedback like the Laser 1, plus we do trips to the coast and the other cast as the kids state, “suck in the surf.” The Wave is really bad in surf, and I mean bad!

To answer Beachnc’s question - we tested these boats in the following ways. We have a Hobie 14, we tested the Dragoon and Wave’s when US Sailing Associations came to our area, and I must clarify “some kids tried the 4.3” were kids (and some adults) at the US Youth Multihull Championships for 2002.

Now Mike I do not have a clue what you mean by “I still do not understand your wanting to purchase offshore when the CONVERSATION will double the USA pricing structure.” What do you mean by CONVERSATION, and how will this increase the USA pricing structure. Sorry this is obvious to you but not to us, but would be very interested in the answer. No Hobie 14’s are being produced in North American, so we have to purchase new ones somewhere, correct? Hobie USA is importing several types of cats from Hobie Europe, and the H14 would just be another one. Hobie USA has indicated that it would be no problem getting some Hobie 16’s to us.

We also chose to stay anonymous on this forum based on the sensitivity of some on this site.

Thanks!

Re: Help with Junior Multihull Program #11616
10/14/02 12:09 AM
10/14/02 12:09 AM
Mike Fahle Offline
addict
Mike Fahle  Offline
addict

Hi, C. You have BAD information. There were no kids or adults from west of Michigan at the 2002 USSA Youth Cat Nationals so your kids could NOT have made a determination about the Mystere 4.3 from actual experience. I have sailed the Hobie 14, THAT is why I say it is hard to get excited about it. The Mystere 4.3 has main, jib, and spinnaker w/ snuffer that can be sailed w/ any combination of those sails and w/ one or two people competively. It has much more buoyancy than the H-14 and will cost less than a new H-14. The Mystere 4.3 has very responsive handling and will train kids from beginners to advanced, including the use of a spinnaker which is quickly becoming common on cats.

Now if you want to just get Hobie 14s for some reason, then knock yourself out but do not portray it as a decision reached after actually comparing the boats listed because that is just not the truth.

Re: Help with Junior Multihull Program [Re: Surf] #11617
10/14/02 06:43 AM
10/14/02 06:43 AM
reidqa Offline
journeyman
reidqa  Offline
journeyman

*Hello, we are trying to solicit help to get some H14's and parts for our junior/youth

sailing program.

Once again state your organization.

*So any info anyone would have on H14's that people would like to donate to our junior program (using the H16 for our youth age kids - donations in this area are also appreciated) would be greatly

Appreciated.

You ask for donations, but in the same post purchasing from overseas, an organization in dire need would not be taking such approaches.

*We are also budgeting some funding to get some new H14's shipped in from Hobie Europe

or Hobie Brazil.

Hobie 16 is 12,250$ Stripped plus shipping, enough said on this issue concerning pricing and conversion.

*So if anyone wants a NEW H14, the more we order the cheaper the

boats will be.

Please tell us price, for purchase of 1 from either Brazil or Europe.

*We will be ordering H14's as standard and in the turbo option. So, make

your orders now.

Gee, need donation and in the same post purchasing from overseas markets. Why not ebay there is more than 10 boats for sale on any month. The statement make your order, to whom the wind it seems you and your organization doesn't want to be in public light to a point not even a website.

*We are located in Washington State.

Where, whom, when and why applies.

There is something not right, much like the old song "beware the winds of early November".

Mike

Re: Help with Junior Multihull Program [Re: reidqa] #11618
10/14/02 01:09 PM
10/14/02 01:09 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

>>>I will do my best to answer your questions and try to figure out why you are becoming so hostile.

*Hello, we are trying to solicit help to get some H14's and parts for our junior/youth

sailing program.

..Once again state your organization.

>>I am more than willing to email you with this information if you would like! Just indicate if you would like me to do this.

*So any info anyone would have on H14's that people would like to donate to our junior program (using the H16 for our youth age kids - donations in this area are also appreciated) would be greatly Appreciated.

..You ask for donations, but in the same post purchasing from overseas, an organization in dire need would not be taking such approaches.

>>Because we are writing for some grants that might help us get a few new Hobie 14’s.

*We are also budgeting some funding to get some new H14's shipped in from Hobie Europe or Hobie Brazil.

..Hobie 16 is 12,250$ Stripped plus shipping, enough said on this issue concerning pricing and conversion.

>>>Did I say we were shipping Hobie 16’s? If you look at the sentence you copied it has the abbreviation H14’s, which means Hobie 14 not H16/Hobie 16.

*So if anyone wants a NEW H14, the more we order the cheaper the boats will be.

..Please tell us price, for purchase of 1 from either Brazil or Europe.

>>>Last time I spoke with Hobie USA it was $6,100.00, but will be less depending on how many boats are ordered at one time.

*We will be ordering H14's as standard and in the turbo option. So, make your orders now.

..Gee, need donation and in the same post purchasing from overseas markets. Why not ebay there is more than 10 boats for sale on any month. The statement make your order, to whom the wind it seems you and your organization doesn't want to be in public light to a point not even a website.

>>>Thanks for the ebay information. We want people to order boats so the price of the new Hobie 14’s will be less, when and if the grants come through. By the way we have a very nice website.

*We are located in Washington State.

..Where, whom, when and why applies.

..There is something not right, much like the old song "beware the winds of early November".

>>>Mike if you don’t like the info we are looking for then why are you wasting your time replying. Seems to me you must be a Mystere dealer or something. Our club members are actually located two counties of Washington and Idaho State.

>>>Now in regards to your second post:

..Hi, C. You have BAD information. There were no kids or adults from west of Michigan at the 2002 USSA Youth Cat Nationals so your kids could NOT have made a determination about the Mystere 4.3 from actual experience.

>>>First off we said “some kids” not our kids, and based on their evaluation and a US Sailing Assoc. member evaluation we felt that information was good enough for us. Plus, the evaluation indicated the Dragoon is a better boat. So actually, we would go with the Dragoon before ever thinking about purchasing a 4.3.

..I have sailed the Hobie 14, THAT is why I say it is hard to get excited about it. The Mystere 4.3 has main, jib, and spinnaker w/ snuffer that can be sailed w/ any combination of those sails and w/ one or two people competively. It has much more buoyancy than the H-14 and will cost less than a new H-14. The Mystere 4.3 has very responsive handling and will train kids from beginners to advanced, including the use of a spinnaker which is quickly becoming common on cats.

>>>The Hobie 14 has a main, jib, is very responsive, has more than enough buoyancy for kids, and is perfect for kids. Once again it’s the kids choice not the adults of our club.

..Now if you want to just get Hobie 14s for some reason, then knock yourself out but do not portray it as a decision reached after actually comparing the boats listed because that is just not the truth.

>>>I don’t know where you get off telling us it is not the truth, I have more than told you how it was accomplished, but it seems you are bent on make our experience on this form a negative one. As one of the kids in the club who has read your comments said, “man what is his problem.”

>>>I have told you twice that I was more than willing to email you individually, but it seems this is not good enough for you.

OK! I sure hope I will not regret this and that my kids will not get an email from a MIke Psycho, if this is in fact your name, but here is our website address any ways: http://www.sail-s.com/main/sail/Sailing_Group/Sailing_Group_MAIN.htm

And here is the section with one of our kids information. I have to add we have not gotten all the kids on the website yet, nor many of this years sailing pictures, particularly the multihull pictures but will try to get this done soon. Once again this is a VERY NEW WEBSITE! http://www.sail-s.com/main/sail/Sailing_Group/racing_team.htm

I hope this makes you happy Mike! And be nice to the kids!

Re: Help with Junior Multihull Program [Re: reidqa] #11619
10/14/02 02:11 PM
10/14/02 02:11 PM
Fulshear, TX
SGalway Offline
journeyman
SGalway  Offline
journeyman

Fulshear, TX
Man, chill out!

It's just a bunch of kids...

Shannon Galway
Fulshear, TX
YoNav! Flying Phantom
www.yonav.net
Re: Help with Junior Multihull Program #11620
10/14/02 02:14 PM
10/14/02 02:14 PM
MI
sail6000 Offline
old hand
sail6000  Offline
old hand

MI

Hi C

Sounds like the beginnings of a great youth sailing program , by people who care . We will stay on the lookout for any H-14S available in your geographic area .

The Cat Sailor forum is most of the time a good place to communicate good ideas like this .Everyone is registered through the forum administrators -{Rick & Mary } Many may have leads or access or potential contact sources to assist this program in the Washington State area .

Remember attending a H-18 Nationals in Sudden Valley ,just into Washington across the border South of Vancover Canada ,--beautiful area .,-mountain sailing , think Mount St Helens had erupted just months previous to the event ,--it was quite a while ago , but a great week of sailing and racing in a beautiful part of the country as I recall .

One potential contact that comes to mind that has been a long time advocate of H-and cat sailng in the area is Paul Ulibery ,-you may find his e through the Hobie Class website .

Funny -remember Nigel giving away a H-14 this year at his well know Spring Fever regatta in GA , ---SOMETIMES TIMING IS EVERYTHING !-but I,m sure there are numerous other potential sources with help and assistance out there .

Best of luck with it and again will keep an eye out for potential leads for 14s for your youth sailing program .

Sail safe

have fun

Carl Roberts

Before -{-underline before }--others attempt to publicly use this forum to cast dispertions towards fellow cat sailors they should have the common decency to contact them directly first to attempt to resolve any misunderstood issues , --{again all are registered } --readily available through private e as part of the forums functions .

Re: Help with Junior Multihull Program #11621
10/14/02 03:26 PM
10/14/02 03:26 PM
reidqa Offline
journeyman
reidqa  Offline
journeyman

Stan,

Please do not take my questioning as hostility, I was a victim of a chariable car scam, in which 2 donated cars was to go to Childrens Cancer Hospital only to be sold in Used car dealer in Philly. The money never did go to any hospital only to dealer whose policy for cars was 1 minute or 1 mile which ever comes first.

I responded to such an inquiry (navive on my part) to a person who provided receipt and tax exempt chariable number. These were phony crentdials, and yes could have fought to receive cars back.

There was such a post on another boat board for charity in which college needed boats for course, and even offered tax incentive. They never responded to emails.

Now your posts refelcted no organization, website and even to email addy. My radar went up at your orginal post and did not want such a thing of getting screwed happening to another sailor.

Please do your own reseach and you will find such scams either for profit, or personal gain.

If you would have solictied with now addy and site, such a post would have never occurred and after all if you had this happen to you would you not think the same.

Best of luck on your endeavor.

Mie

Re: Help with Junior Multihull Program [Re: sail6000] #11622
10/14/02 03:29 PM
10/14/02 03:29 PM
Mike Fahle Offline
addict
Mike Fahle  Offline
addict

You are having this conversation with two different Mikes. You would know that simply by looking at our names and the information we posted when we registered on this forum. When I do that for your name there is nothing there. This forum was supposed to eliminate anonymity so that when people write something that is not correct, they can be held accountable. In your very first post you wrote that your kids tested each type of boat and then you changed that when challenged. If you think I am being hostile to hold you accountable for what you write then you have a different definition of hostile than I do. This forum is all about accountability - if you want to be able to write anything without being accountable then do it on the other forum. I am not at all hostile to you or what you are trying to do, in fact, you asked in your second post why no help. I posted that I would be glad to help with Mysteres. I have helpd get 42 new Mysteres into the U.S. in the last two years. I spent alot of time and effort for free to do that. I am not a dealer and do not want to be one. I was told by Deb Scheafer who is on the Multihull Council that if we did not hold the 2002 USSA Youth Cat Nationals in Port Clinton this year then they probably would not happen, so I volunteered to work with Mystere to get the boats and make it happen. I have invested a great deal of effort into youth sailing the last two years and in forming the Mystere 4.3 class. If there is any hostility to be concerned about, it would be that your remarks are hostile to the Mystere 4.3 class because readers would be under the impression that on a side by side trial, your kids preferred the Hobie 14 and that is not the case. Like I wrote before, use whatever you want - just do not mislead people on how that decision was made. It is not fair to the Mystere 4.3 class.

You can address the other Mike on any points he made that you are unhappy about. Seems to me that he was mainly concerned about your accountability also. As far as sending private e-mails goes, that works both ways, doesn't it?

Re: Help with Junior Multihull Program [Re: Mike Fahle] #11623
10/14/02 04:19 PM
10/14/02 04:19 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Seems you are the only one pointing a finger at me. The other Mike was pointing a figure to, kind of, even though after his post I understand why. I in no way intended to miss lead anyone and if you think so I am sorry you started out thinking this way. Seems you have a lot invested in the 4.3 and sensitivity to anyone not reflecting the message you want. Also realize we have done our research before we came to our conclusion about what boat to use. The kids loved the Dragoon, Waves, and from our research, the kids at the US event loved the 4.3, but ultimately our kids weighed the options and chose the H14, due to low cost (used ones), fun of sail, and that the H14 helps them prepare to youth sail on the H16. The club has no ties to any of these boats and so the kids made their own decision.

In my previous email I gave the location of our website. As indicated, Rick & Mary know who is posting and if they had a problem they would have removed my posts!

Now to put this negative stuff aside I must add the kids really do appreciated the positive posts that were received today on this forum as that is what we were looking for, just some USEFUL information, such as contacts, people with used H14’s to sell or give away, parts, etc, and Hobie 16’s as well for that matter. The kids are really excited about getting a full program going next sailing season. We had a great season this year with our first regatta and with US Sailing Associate “Fast & Fun” program, thank God for the “Fast & Fun” program! We started our weekly racing/fun series this summer and currently are still doing it until the end of this month. We only had two H16’s and three Access Dinghies for our program this summer but we did a lot, with what we had. Last week the college donated a H14 to our program, only problem is there is no mast and one of the hulls has a whole, which should be easy to fix. Actually it is a really nice H14 it is just unfortunate the mast got run over and a track and field guy through one of those hammers into the side of the hull, but we look at it this way they would not have donated it if it were perfect. It was funny to see the kid’s excitement about the boat even though they cannot sail it. Luckily, they were able to sail some H14’s in the past, which added to their excitement when we got the H14.

Another exciting note is the county officials liked what we did this summer so much that they are helping us build a new sailing facility (office, classroom, and indoor storage for our boats, with fenced in area). So it is amazing how much can be accomplished in one sailing season, and next summer looks so much better!

Thanks!

Re: Help with Junior Multihull Program [Re: reidqa] #11624
10/14/02 04:58 PM
10/14/02 04:58 PM
Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
Hey Mike and Reidga, What are you guys going to do when you get home from work??? Beat the wife?? Kick the dog???

Surf asked for help for some kids and you trash him. Mike your commets about surf being a stranger are out of line. I can gain no more info about you than I can about Surf. I'm talking about real info. Are you confused about the (stranger) that appears below his handle???

Reidga weren't you try to sollict donations of parts for your own personal boat a while back????

The Hobie 14 is a good first boat. It started much of what we as cat sailors enjoy today. It is the epitome of one design cat sailing. In fact a number of sailors in the tampa area have gone back to them. Why?? Simplicty and here's one that may confuse some of you........FUN!!!!!!! Imagine everyone sailing the same type of boat and finding out who the best SAILOR was that day.

To you kids up in Washington, I hope you get the boats and I hope cat sailing brings you as much fun and friendship as I have had.

Mike Catley

Have Fun
Re: Help with Junior Multihull Program [Re: catman] #11625
10/15/02 01:56 PM
10/15/02 01:56 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

To the kids of the youth group,

I wish you the best of luck getting the boats you are going after (Hobie 14). I wish that I had some leads for you. I'm going to bookmark your website in case I find leads for you. I also hope that each of you have a great sailing season. I'll be looking forward to see the results. Once again, it would be great if we can get more youths involved in sailing.

Fair Winds,

beachNC

Re: Help with Junior Multihull Program #11626
10/16/02 11:37 AM
10/16/02 11:37 AM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
As the commodore of a sailing club that relies on boat donations from the public, I have to say that it helps GREATLY to have something to offer the donators in return for their help. In our case, we are able to offer tax write-offs for the appraised value of the boat. In cases where the boat is damaged beyond what the owner, or any potential buyers would want to fix, our club offers an outlet to not only get the boat out of the yard, but also they are less depressed come April 15th. If you are trying to get youths involved in sailing, getting them involved in boat maintenance and repair would be an excellent supplement, as it is to our members that are new to sailing.

Good luck, and if you see any cats around NC needing a good home, let me know, we just decommissioned our "Alley Cat"

Re: Help with Junior Multihull Program [Re: Surf] #11627
10/18/02 03:26 PM
10/18/02 03:26 PM
J
jcasto1 Offline
enthusiast
jcasto1  Offline
enthusiast
J

OK, so here's a constructive suggestion on a possible way to find old catamarans.

When there are catamarans for sale in the paper, call them up & make a pitch to them for donating to your organization. As a previous poster recommended, if you have tax-exempt status, donations to your organizations may be tax-deductible, this may actually be better for a seller than getting a pittance for it. Now, regular newspaper classifieds cost $$, don't run for long. Some people who have an old catamaran in the backyard may not want to spend much $$ to advertise & get rid of it.

Also, our newspaper has an online website, and they have online classisfieds that include all the ones in the paper, but also include a LOT more than they print. Right now, there's 2 cheap boats listed online, that aren't in the paper version. An 18' cat for $650, and a Sunfish for $450, both with trailers.

When I was looking for a beater Sunfish (i.e. old & cheap) one time, I found good luck in the cheapo classifieds. In my section of TX there is one called "The Greensheet" and another called "The Thrifty Nickel". They are extremely cheap to advertise in (sometimes they are actually free to advertise) I'm sure there is some kind of thing like that in your state. I scanned those publications weekly until I found one. Perhaps these kind of publiciations in your area will occasionally carry an ad for a catamaran. Maybe the kids can be assigned to monitor the publication, like picking up a copy every week at the supermarket, scan it & call the ad. These kind of publications, generally have lower cost items in them, since it's cheaper to run the ad - lots of flea markets, garage sales, fix-it guys and shade tree mechanics advertise. So do people with something in their backyard they want to get rid of without spending $$ to do it.

Sooner or later, you might hit paydirt! Maybe these publications even have on-line classifieds. This may enable a wider search range. The supermarket may only have the local edition, but on-line, you could find one from a city an hour drive away. 2 hour round trip for a free boat might be worth it?

Example comparison - local newspaper classified is full of motorboats $7K-$30K, and sailboats $5K-$40K. Greensheet has lots of 14 ft jonboats for $300-$1500, a 22' keelboat for $2000 and a catamaran for $650.

Good Luck!

Also, "Auto Trader" has a related publication called "Boat Trader". Sometimes folks advertise cats in there. But, cost to run ad is actually more than newspaper, so this may not be as good.

Jim Casto
NACRA 5.5 & NACRA 5.7
Austin TX
Lake Travis
Re: Help with Junior Multihull Program [Re: Surf] #11628
10/21/02 01:42 AM
10/21/02 01:42 AM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline
old hand
H17cat  Offline
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA
Hi Surf, just came back from the US SAILING AGM. Contact me re your program, I may be able to help. Where are you in Washington State, and what program do you have?

Caleb Tarleton, Sail Sand Point, Seattle.

Re: Help with Junior Multihull Program [Re: H17cat] #11629
10/27/02 12:56 AM
10/27/02 12:56 AM
S
Surf Offline OP
journeyman
Surf  Offline OP
journeyman
S

Thanks H17cat for your post. I do not get to this forum as much as I would like so I apologize for the late response. We are located in the Spokane Washington and Kootenai county area. I have a great group of kids and sure would like to locate some H14’s; we are in the mid stage of getting our grants written up to get some new H14's so between new and used H14's we should do fine. We did just get a H14 donated to our club but we need a mast for it. Once again our website is located @ http://www.sail-s.com/main/sail/Sailing_Group/Sailing_Group_MAIN.htm . I have just updated the RACING TEAM area with new youth info so check it out when you get time (a few of the pictures are not working so I need to work on it a little more). I sure would of liked to be at the AGM meeting but had a job related mandatory conference to attend. I am wondering why the US Sailing Assoc. continues to denie championship status for youth multihull racing, seems strange to me. Yes please contact me by going to our website and emailing me from there thanks.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 604 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022