10/23/07 06:12 AM
E
Erwankerauzen Offline OP
stranger
Erwankerauzen  Offline OP
stranger
E

Hi Everyboby,
I would like to address the A-Cat's Wing issue, which is likely to create some choppy discussion at the World.
I will not be there, as I have no more A-Cat at the moment, but I would like to present my arguments to support the wing development as cost-effective solution for ACat sailors.
I know it could appear a bit like provocatio, but it is not
1-25 kg of carbone fiber cannot be priced 25000 $
probably the same cost per kg/lb than traditional mast
2-The main tube inside the wing can be a standard pultruded section, therefore cheaper than preg/autoclave standart masts on a $/weight basis.(I am confident such tubes already exist and are not A Cat specefic stuff...and hence it is not A-Cat specific prices)
The upper part above the hound does not stand any compression, just flexion, it could be quite similar to windsurf mast, filament winding technology, again cheaper than prepeg-/autoclave, and not A-Cat specific...)
3-The remaining part of the wing, only requires the same technology than A-Cat's hulls, again it is cheaper than prepeg/autoclave technology, same remark for the sail&batten set on a $/weigt basis.
4-Your Harken bill is much lighter

Other significant side-effects
5-Storage facility
As you can fold your rig, you can store your boat on the road trailer with everything inside a 8 x 18 feet square.
Instead, your 30 feet carbon mast, is likely to be the first victim of any unexpected wheather phenomenon,involving insurance issues, week-ends on the beach waiting for the new mast...

Considering the interest of various industry's players, I guess that for mast makers it will be straightforward to produce and market wings.
But the sailmakers can become wing makers as well,there are no so much barrier to entry, using cheap carbon tubes which are not A'Cat specific, and gaining independence from traditional mast makers.

Sorry for my poor English, but I think forum are the best place to address such an issue, and I hope Wings will find strong supports

Good Wind everybody

EK

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: A-Cat Wing's Advocacy: Let it live ! [Re: Erwankerauzen] #120753
10/23/07 07:42 AM
10/23/07 07:42 AM
Zurich
Daniel_Gut Offline
Daniel_Gut  Offline

Zurich
Hello EK

A Class development over the past few years has focused strongly on platforms and it is excellent to see some serious development going into the rig again without needing a NASA budget. There will be lots to discuss I agree, but I cannot see any reason for objection let alone talk of making it illegal. I recently took delivery of my 3rd A Cat, each one has been better and nicer to sail than the last, thats what makes this boat such a peach to sail. I wish Ben all the best and look forward to reading the daily reports from the worlds.

Regards from Zurich
Daniel Gut
SUI 208

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 672 guests, and 153 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022