12/04/07 08:21 AM
12/04/07 08:21 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
We all agreee that moving weight to the rear is crucial.

Question:
If you dump the main, the top of your sail will twist. When bearing away the top of the main will produce a lot of forward drive, while the bottom of the sail will stall. Therefore, dumping the main sheet will increase the moment that tries to pitch-pole your ship?

Dumping the traveler will maintain pressures in whole sail. Hence, there is no large difference between top and bottom in forward-directed force. However, when dumping the traveler, the main sheet is tightened somewhat, hence sheeting out a couple of inches is necessary.

Dumping the jib sheet may on many boats lift the bows slightly.

Tentative conclusion: dump traveler, sheet out mainsheet only 6-12 inches, release jib sheet.
Does anyone agree?

Stein

Perhaps - but you still have to control the power with the mainsheet with more adjustment when it's really cranking....like when you've already had to make a major ease just to get the boat down to start setting up for the rounding. Here, we're still at Mach 9 with the top half of the main inverted (granted we are reaching off slightly).

Speed is another important factor - if you can keep up the boat speed, the difference between your speed and the wind speed is smaller.

[Linked Image]

Jake Kohl
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: high wind bearaway techniques [Re: Jake] #125193
12/04/07 10:23 AM
12/04/07 10:23 AM
Cheshire, UK
Simon Offline
Simon  Offline

Cheshire, UK
I'd echo that the jib, main and traveller are only eased for the instant in which you make the bear away. This being in conditions where to have them 'uneased' would knock you over sideways as you go through the reach. In my case that means we are unlikely to even have the crew on the wire at all - just playing safe rather than going for pure speed, especially in a heavy chop.

No one has mentioned the opposite situation - heading up after the rapid downwind leg. I use the same solution. Weight back, dump everything and spin round to windward rapidly as the sails are dumped.

So in both cases the dumping is just to get you through the reaching position. And it all happens quickly!

Then again, sometimes the crew will go out, just to get wet (see attachment)

Attached Files

Simon
Shadow 067
Re: high wind bearaway techniques [Re: Simon] #125194
12/04/07 11:06 PM
12/04/07 11:06 PM
WA, ID, MT
davefarmer Offline OP
old hand
davefarmer  Offline OP
old hand

WA, ID, MT
Thanks guys, that's the help I was hoping for. We'll see if I can translate it into practice.

dave

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 426 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022