12/31/07 11:28 AM
12/31/07 11:28 AM
Sandy, UT
SteveBlevins Offline OP
journeyman
SteveBlevins  Offline OP
journeyman

Sandy, UT
I have always taken the meaning from context, but cannot find specific definition. If it's on this website, I couldn't find it. But I just now learned there was a homebuilder forum, can't believe I missed that.

Anyway, on catamarans does 1-up mean 1 crew AND 1 sail? Or does it simply mean 1 sail regardless of crew count? As I understand cat rigged, when you take your cat out w/ main only, you might generally be described as cat rigged, but technically not. Is an A-cat cat rigged?(I read cat-rigged as purposely designed to run on mainsail only. the main is enlarged and stepped further forward) By contrast I see 2-up as part of the specification for determining Portsmouth, which seems to say main and jib and 2 crew, but I don't see it defined.

If these are defined discussed somewhere, please point me to it and let this thread sink. Steve

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: What exactly does 1-up, 2-up, and cat rigged mean? [Re: SteveBlevins] #127352
12/31/07 11:39 AM
12/31/07 11:39 AM
F
fin. Offline
Carpal Tunnel
fin.  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
F

I think 1-up and 2-up are modern terms that refer to the number of people aboard. It has nothing to do with the hull shape or number of sails.

Cat rigged on the other hand is a much older term and may refer to a specific type of boat. I think a "cat" boat was originally any boat with maximum beam at the bow. Later it became any boat with one sail and one mast.

http://www.catboats.org/ This type is an American original, used for fishing in New England.

Re: What exactly does 1-up, 2-up, and cat rigged m [Re: fin.] #127353
12/31/07 11:42 AM
12/31/07 11:42 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
yeah, 1-up and 2-up refer to the number of people on board. "Uni-rigged" typically means main sail only.

Jake Kohl
Re: What exactly does 1-up, 2-up, and cat rigged m [Re: Jake] #127354
12/31/07 12:02 PM
12/31/07 12:02 PM
Sandy, UT
SteveBlevins Offline OP
journeyman
SteveBlevins  Offline OP
journeyman

Sandy, UT
OK, that was the one possibility that never occurred to me, and uni-rig is the more accurate and definitive description. Thanks all. If you get bored this holiday read the thread on "How Lift Is Created" and think about what you enjoy when you sail, and how you can progress and improve as a sailor/human.
Steve.

Re: What exactly does 1-up, 2-up, and cat rigged mean? [Re: SteveBlevins] #127355
12/31/07 01:04 PM
12/31/07 01:04 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Dart marketed their Dart 18 as
1 up or 2 up. (early 70's)

Basically... the Dart had a balanced rig which could sail equally well with or without a jib. (unlike the H16 or P16)
so... this was Dart's marketing spin.

So... they used the term 1 up... to refer to the Dart 18 with main only... Two up... meant the Dart 18 with two crew and a main and jib. In theory the two configurations were equal in performance.

Hobie 14's were always one up... ao no need for the qualifier.... 1 up.

Nacra came along and built the Nacra 5.5.... They marketed the hulls in two formats... Uni... taller stick and single sail... as the 5.5uni.... and a second config the 5.5sloop. shorter stick w main and jib.
The class rules speced that the 5.5uni was a 1 up... or single hander. The 5.5sloop was a 2up or double handed boat. Nacra never used the terminology of 1 up or two up and choose to stay with the rig description and imply how many sailors were on the boat.

Hobie then decided to add a jib to the Hobie 14 for the Rec sailors. ... they marketed it as the H14 TURBO.... (versus the Hobie 14 sloop.) the one up and two up designation... never really applied to the 14... since the hulls did not carry a lot of weight and the boat was not really raced.

The Hobie 17 got a jib and became the 17 sport... but again this was not a racing class and the one up or two up designation never really applied.

So... today.. the M20 or F18HT are called uni rigs since they have no jib... Yet both are double handed boats.
Recently, M20's have appeared with different rig configurations... each needing some modification to the class "M20".(extreme or Volvo 20)

The A class is a uni rig and single hander or 1 up... but since they only have one configuration... they simply use A class. no qualifier needed.

The F16, seems to use one up an two up... to refer to a uni rig with spin for a single person and a sloop with spin for a two man crew.

The Hobie FX one and Taipan 4.9 ... has all configurations going... eg single handed... uni rig (main only)... up to taipan with spin(unlimited spin) and then finally, Taipan F16 (fixed spin size) then you just add sails and crew for any combination you would like.

Portsmouth has always followed the class lead and lists the boat as the class would like in the table. Remember, the whole point of the listing is to make life easy for the Race Committee to get the proper rating for the competitor by using a class rule. Clearly, the system would be easier to understand if the builders and classes settled on one naming system and did not create a class for every possible configuration.

It would seem that you can designate the boat by characgterizing the rig. uni or sloop
and then add the spin if you want.

One up or two up then determines the crew numbers.

If you use a short hand form like a class distinction. eg F16 then you can use the one up or two up designation to specify which flavor of F16 you are using.

You still have the age old question... should the term "class' refer to a group of owners who sail a particular configuration... or should it simply refer to the boat configuration... regardless of how many individual members are sailing this configuration.

crac.sailregattas.com

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 673 guests, and 163 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022