03/10/08 06:23 PM
Victoria, Oztralia
mattaipan Offline OP
addict
mattaipan  Offline OP
addict

Victoria, Oztralia
Hi All

The weekend passed saw the Vic Titles held at Mt.Martha Yacht Club on Port Phillip Bay.

Racing on Saturday was abandoned due to no wind, many got to the starting area in a light breeze, but it died completely leaving us to be towed or paddling home.

Sunday again bought light winds, a planned two races back to back in the morning, saw one race in the morning and one in the afternoon, again the conditions not overly enjoyable but at least the series was started.

Monday was a good day with a building wind to around 12 knots with gusts to maybe 15. Three races held back to back in the morning. A good way to finish the weekend.

The winners in the Capricorn/Taipan 5.7 division were Greg and Brett Goodall, followed by Chris Boag and Doug Fimmell.

The Sloops saw Tim Kirkham and his wife ( apologies I have forgotten the name I will post asap ) followed by Luke Donovan and Mick Doherty.

In the Cat Rigged a very close battle with the eventual winner being Dennis Baker, followed by Warwick Lyon and Liam Goodall.

Forty boats in total, to one states, championship is not a bad effort at all, and considering this was all organised with MMYC in the last 4 weeks, due to the original venue being unsuitable because of water level and weed issues, well done to all those involved.

Regards

Matt Harper Homebuilt Taipan 4.9 AUS 329 'GOT WOOD' SEEDY PIRATES RACING TEAM
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Taipan and Capricorn Victorian State Titles [Re: mattaipan] #135779
03/10/08 06:45 PM
03/10/08 06:45 PM
Victoria, Oztralia
mattaipan Offline OP
addict
mattaipan  Offline OP
addict

Victoria, Oztralia
And me

Well, without making excuses, I haven't really sailed for over ten years, with water levels at 0, for many of those years and for a time living where there are no clubs. I have sailed this boat which I built myself and have sailed it four times in total, with a few attempts being blow out and drifters.

I maintained consistant placings of around the 15th mark out of 25 boats, I felt that I was lacking upwind in both height and speed, so to maintain my speed I scarificed a little height which saw me lose the places I had gained downwind, in Mondays first race I blew a couple of tacks and had another boat tack directly in front of me, although I had right of way, there was nowhere to go and we both ended up stalled, basically righting off my race completely. Downwind I was fast, at times pulling back between 3-5 boats, I could really see this on the Monday in the stronger breeze, but even in the light I was very happy.

Long story short, I ended up 17th out of 25, I had been at 15th after Sundays races, but which isn't fantastic, but I didn't go with high expectations, and as long as I wasn't last I was happy.

Regards

Matt Harper Homebuilt Taipan 4.9 AUS 329 'GOT WOOD' SEEDY PIRATES RACING TEAM
Re: Taipan and Capricorn Victorian State Titles [Re: mattaipan] #135780
03/11/08 12:23 AM
03/11/08 12:23 AM
taipanfc Offline
addict
taipanfc  Offline
addict

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 499 guests, and 97 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022