Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
GPS #136
06/21/01 07:44 AM
06/21/01 07:44 AM
jabram Offline OP
jabram  Offline OP

Wondering what type of GPS would be good to carry on a cat? Need to show speed and heading, waypoints are also nice. Big thing to me is waterproof. But do not want to spend more on GPS than on the boat. what types have you all used and where is the best place to get it. Thanks
<br>
<br>Jody Abrams
<br>H16 <br><br>

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: GPS [Re: jabram] #137
06/21/01 08:44 AM
06/21/01 08:44 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Jody,
<br>
<br>I did a good bit of research and the only GPS that I know of that is waterproof is the Garmin Etrex series. They are not SUPER waterproof but will take a splash on occasion. I use the handlebar mount for my Etrex Legend attached to my tiller extension but it's even less waterproof that way. They will do all you ask. Garmin has a pretty good comparison of units at www.garmin.com. Cool units. It's a pretty good idea to use a waterproof bag with any GPS you buy.
<br><br><br>[color:blue] Jake
<br>[color:blue][b]Nacra 5.2 (2112)

Attached Files
136- (33 downloads)

Jake Kohl
Garmin 12... [Re: Jake] #138
06/21/01 09:40 AM
06/21/01 09:40 AM
San Diego, CA
whitecaps Offline
whitecaps  Offline

San Diego, CA
Is the best one I've used. None of them are waterproof by cat standards (any brand, any model) - they MUST be kept in a drybag if you want it to survive on a cat.<br><br>Sail fast and have fun,<br>Alan Thompson<br>I20 - San Diego<br>http://www.whitecaps.net<br><br><br>

GPS [Re: whitecaps] #139
06/21/01 09:53 AM
06/21/01 09:53 AM
Flagstaff, Arizona
Dennis Offline
journeyman
Dennis  Offline
journeyman

Flagstaff, Arizona
I just bought an Etrex Legend. I had the Mariner from West Marine, but exchanged up so I could take advantage of the extra memory for hunting and road trips. This thing is great. It is easy to scroll through the screens and use the features. It has bearing, VMG, and a pointer, plus lots of other screens you can se yourself. It is already loaded with all the maritime aids that were in the Mariner. I am sure it will get lots of use.
<br>
<br>All the same, I understand it is not really waterproof. So, since i have to keep it in a bag on the boat, How will I ever be able to read it and use it while flying the hull? I suspect it will go on the longer sails with me, and I'll probably look at it when the race is all over. If i get more organized, I'll be able to juggle the stick, sheets, GPS, and camera all at once. Untill then, I'll have to settle for light wind days to really use the GPS...
<br>Enjoy<br><br>

Re: GPS [Re: Dennis] #140
06/21/01 10:38 AM
06/21/01 10:38 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Dennis,
<br>
<br>I also have a legend (found tons of different uses for it!) that I used the 'bicycle bar mount' to mount to my tiller (going to put it on the tiller extension next time). I can read it just about any time there but I need to find a better way to water-proof it when it's mounted - the bar mounting makes it tough - any ideas?<br><br>[color:blue][b]Jake
<br>[color:blue][b]Nacra 5.2 (2112)

Attached Files
142- (32 downloads)

Jake Kohl
Re: GPS [Re: jabram] #141
06/21/01 11:56 AM
06/21/01 11:56 AM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Hi Jody -
<br>
<br>Like everyone else who's posted so far, I did a lot of research before dropping the moderate cash to have one of these little wonders. I got hooked on Garmin's products during te Worrell last year, and got even deeper into navigation and PC interfacing this year. My suggestion to anyone shopping for a GPS unit is to get one you can grow into - I quickly found that there were features available on more expensive units that I wanted to be able to use. So when it came time to get one for myself, I spent a little more than I originally planned, but was immediately happy that I had.
<br>
<br>For cat sailing, if you're just a weekender our for a pleasure sail, the basic eTrex units are great - they're pretty accurate, rugged, keep good satelite reception, are an easy size to handle, and the little joystick on the front or the page button on the side quickly take you through the various screens, all of which are user-programmable so you can choose what variables you want to see on any given screen.
<br>
<br>Getting a unit with a map is great, too - a little more cash, but invaluable for those visual-minded people who need to see where they are. This also reduces your dependance on waypoints, as most of the map units already have a lot of nav-aids pre-programmed.
<br>
<br>Regardless of the unit you settle on, I highly recommend getting Garmin's MapSource software - it allows you to manage your waypoints, program routes, upload tracks, and a host of other functions that I found extremely helpful - plus, looking at maps in full color on my computer screen beforehand and afterward really helps in my comprehension (I'm one of those visual thinkers). The "Waterways and Lights" edition is good, but if you only plan on getting one edition (they're about $60 each), I'd recomend the US Roads and Recreation edition - it has some nautical navigation aids, plus a lot of other stuff that make the unit just as versatile on land.
<br>
<br>I decided on the eTrex Vista - it's the top of the line, with an electronic compass that works great for sailing. I'm a moderately-serious racer - I crew a lot, and have recently started skippering - I was able to use the Vista right out of the box with only a few minutes of goofing around with it. There was a two day regatta the weekend I got it - I was able to load the course markers in while I was on the water, and by using VMG and the electronic compass, I could tell immediately which tack or jibe was favored. For the distance race, I pulled the waypoints off MapSource, uploaded them into my Vista, and didn't worry about having to count markers or wandering off course - the "go to" feature, again with the VMG and compass, got me there - it left me free to concentrate more on where the wind was and watching the rest of the fleet rather than trying to find the mark.
<br>
<br>Before buying, I went to West Marine and laid hands on each unit I was considering - I really liked the GPSMAP 76, also (it has tide data and a bigger screen), but the compass on the Vista clinched it for me. Definitely try 'em all out - other manufacturers have very comparable products. You can find killer deals on-line, too - I saved about $80 by ordering from a site called "GPS City."
<br>
<br>Whew - that turned out to be a little long-winded. Hope it helps - good luck.
<br>
<br>John<br><br>

Attached Files
145- (36 downloads)

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: GPS [Re: jabram] #142
06/21/01 04:00 PM
06/21/01 04:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Jody;
<br>I have a Garmin 12 that I will let you try out on your boat sometime. It may help you know what features you want and don't want. Just Invite Brett and I to come down and sail on some windy Saturday and I'll bring it with me. <br><br>

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 637 guests, and 78 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022