tshan Offline
old hand
tshan  Offline
old hand
T

Eastern NC, USA
TwiceBitten has posted some pics here:

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/showflat...true#Post123634

It is the green/white line in the picture. The trick is getting the "leader" for the ring the right length, then just run your retrieval line through it before entering the spi snuffing loops.

Tom
--Advertisement--
Re: Spin Clew or clueless? [Re: tback] #136271
03/13/08 06:22 PM
03/13/08 06:22 PM
Wilmington,NC
Dlennard Offline
addict
Dlennard  Offline
addict

Wilmington,NC
You can see it in the picture above if you zoom in and look close. I don't think I have any of my own.

Re: Spin Clew or clueless? [Re: Dlennard] #136272
03/13/08 06:50 PM
03/13/08 06:50 PM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
bobcat Offline OP
addict
bobcat  Offline OP
addict

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Ah, the irony. As I was composing the post I was wondering if I should ask "WWDLD?". Now I know.

Re: Spin Clew or clueless? [Re: bobcat] #136273
03/14/08 05:59 AM
03/14/08 05:59 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe
This is now how I do it :

Reasons :

-1- Obviously because now the sheet won't hang up in the forestay due to the small line making it appear the line is continious

-2- The sheet knots are still on the clew of the spi and not on the trampoline allowing my bungee setup to tidy the spi sheet on the trampoline. I also hate those spi sheet knots on the trampoline !

[Linked Image]

How is it used :

The left sheet end stays on the spi, although you can very easily take it off by running it through the eye leaving the figure 8 knot in place on one end.

When fitting to the boat I run the free end through all the blocks and then push this end through the eye in the opposite direct as the "left" end and secure it with another figure 8 knot. Pull both knots tight to the eye and then grap a screwdrive (best a philips screwdriver) or a special sailing tool like shown and widen the earlier stitched opening in the line. Put the small line through it and secure it with a figure 8 knot again. See picture, btw I haven't cut the small line to correct length yet, I'm lazy, doesn't need to be that long.

[Linked Image]

How is it made.

Basically the small line is inserted into the left end of the spi sheet and stitched into place. Doesn't need to be very strong (no splicing required) as the small line never has to pull very hard. The other end of the small line is cut under an angle and burned off to a firm pointy tip so it runs easily through the whole in the other end.

The permanent hole in the other line is made by stitching. Basically I just grapped my special tool (but phillips screwdriver will also work) and made a hole in the sheet line. I left the tool in and pushed a needle and thread along the tool through the line, wrapping it back on the outside. Thus bundling the line fibres together on wo sides. Then I took the tool out and finished the stiching by making smaller loops and having the needle come out throught the sides. Just to make the bundling up more firm. This hole will want to close up any when tension is put on the sheet which is good as that holds the line. Basically you have the widen the hole again each time you rig the sheet with the phillips screwdriver of some other tool. That is the only drawback of this setup, UNLESS you leave the sheet permanently on your boat. Because you can also just untie both figure 8 knots in the sheet and take the spi off but letting the small line connecting the two sheet end.

Your choice, I personally take the sheet line off and just bring that sailing tool with me each time, it is also my shackle key, you seee!

Wouter

Attached Files
Last edited by Wouter; 03/14/08 06:17 AM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 673 guests, and 163 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022