12/03/02 07:46 AM
G
gurax Offline OP
stranger
gurax  Offline OP
stranger
G

Novice H16 question:

Around the bolt in the hull, where the bridle wire is attached, i've got some cracks in the plastic. I've been sailing with these cracks for 2 seasons without any problems, but i'm thinking of having it repared/fixed.

My first thought was to add a metal thingy (between nut and hull) bent to suitable shape to distribute the power from the bridle wire over a larger area. Somewhat like how the shrouds are attached to the hull. Class legal or not? Anyone tried this?

Otherwise: Any suggestions on how to reinforce the hull around the bolt?

rgds
John

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Hull repair [Re: gurax] #13676
12/03/02 11:33 AM
12/03/02 11:33 AM
Fort Loramie, Ohio
jmhoying Offline
enthusiast
jmhoying  Offline
enthusiast

Fort Loramie, Ohio
Hello,
I think many Hobie 16s have a similar condition. The cracks are usually on the surface layers only and are not a structual problem. I doubt if you'll be able to fit a metal backer to fit perfectly around the curved areas. If it isn't perfect (or maybe epoxied in place) you might make the problem worse.
If you remove the bolt, you can fill the cracks with some colored epoxy or you could use one of the gelcoat repair kits that have colors to mix in. It's probably all you need.
Jack Hoying
Fort Loramie, Ohio
Prindle 18 #1645
http://www.bright.net/~jmhoying/sailing/prindle.htm

Jack Hoying Fort Loramie, Ohio
Re: Hull repair [Re: jmhoying] #13677
12/04/02 04:06 AM
12/04/02 04:06 AM
Australia
Jules_topcat Offline
Jules_topcat  Offline

Australia
Hello

I know the problem well probably to well. I know it might look bad but in fact it normally isn't. I was having the same problem but since the nationals are coming up i dont want to risk it. I refibure glassed it and redrilled. The job was so well done yopu cant even know it has been done. My major suggestion is: If you are sailing your boat as hard as possible get it done because you dont want it braking and if it wont brake it just looks like it will, well you dont hve to worry any more.

Dont bother with the matel thingys i thought the same thing. I tryed and failed twice but dont give up because of me. Well what ever happens have fun sailing.(unless it brakes )

Jules

Jules_topcat

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 511 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022