12/18/02 04:52 PM
12/18/02 04:52 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Do you guys have a class web site? Thought I'd read references to it, but can't seem to find it. I've also seen references to other 16HP forums - where are those?

For a newbie, can someone indulge me and list the boats included in the class? Seems like they're all imports and it might be tough to find a decent used boat. I certainly have the interest, but not the ability to build my own.

Thanks -

John

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
--Advertisement--
Re: Getting interested in the class... [Re: John Williams] #14373
12/18/02 05:06 PM
12/18/02 05:06 PM
JeffWoodard Offline
journeyman
JeffWoodard  Offline
journeyman

Hey John,

The class website is www.geocities.com/f16hpclass. It includes information on the class, as well as information on the current manufactured boats that are in class.

The Taipan 4.9 appears to be the main boat here in the states, but I've seen posts about some BIM and Stealth boats on the way.

There is also a T4.9 class firing up as well. It looks like the three distance races in your part of the world will be on the list of class events. I'm planning on being down for all three....so maybe you can get a ride in then if you haven't gotten one for yourself.

Jeff Woodard Atlanta, GA T 4.9 #216
Re: Getting interested in the class... [Re: John Williams] #14374
12/18/02 07:32 PM
12/18/02 07:32 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Hello John,

How are you doing ? Pretty good I gather because your name is all over the catsailor forums !

I can answer a few questions that Jeff left unanswered..

If you go to google.com and punch in something like F16 class than the first hits are to our website. That is above all other hits with respect to F16 fighting falcon airplane and F16 welding tape and sorts.

you've seen references to other F16 forums ? I don't know of any others but i would surely like to visit them. I do know that sometimes where have clippings from the Taipan 4.9 forum which is at : Yahoo! http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taipan/

The list of boats included in the class at this time are :

Stealth Marine F16
AHPC Taipan 4.9 Spi (full Goodall F16 rig on request)
Blade F16 (To be launched in 2003; seen some previews looks good)

These will be fully competitive boats and be available to USA sailors in 2003.

Than compliant or grandfathered boats available on specific demand.

BCM Energy Regate
Swell catamarans Spitfire
Bim 16 / Javelin 16

And we close the list of with the newbies (without a confirmed measurement form yet)

Ventilo Zipo
Mattia Dynacat 16

And then there are some two "possibilties" but they are still some time away from realisation if at all.

With respect to imports. Indeed, they are still all imports and the class would love to welcome one of the 3 American based builders to design and build an F16. But for now that decision is for them to make. Maybe you have some good connection in one of those three companies ?

With respect to decent second hand boats I give you Helen Sharrocks (AHPC) latest list of available secondhanders.

AUS 260 - 12 months old, glass hulls, carbon foils, coloured tramp, beach trolley & stern supports - $15,300

AUS 258 - 12 months old, kevlar hulls, carbon foils, coloured tramp, beach trolley & stern supports - $15,400

USA 283 - BRAND NEW (hasn't hit the water yet!) - being sailed by Jennifer Lindsay from US at the Nationals. kevlar hulls, carbon foils, carbon stocks, coloured tramp, beach trolley & stern supports - $17,600

AUS 136 - 1997 - glass hulls, glass foils - Price negotiable..... Needs some TLC, Range $8,000 - $9700: depending on how much TLC you want us to give it before you take it.)

The exchange rate at this time is such that to buy 15.000 Aus$ you'll need just less than 8500 USD (inc traders margin)

Still have to ship it though.

But indeed, you'll be very hard pressed to find a second hand Taipan in the USA. The secondhanders we had thus far (one in dec 2001 and one in okt 2002) were both sold within 2 weeks.

But ofcourse you will also have to option of buying new :

I refer to the postings of Eric Poulsen for more info on that :

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/sho...amp;Main=13153&Search=true#Post13153

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/sho...;page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

Michael Coffman is a good source to contact if you are looking to ship a secondhander to the USA and also Chip Zenke will be a very good source on new boats of different makes.

With the new webpage we try to make all this info publically available so that everyone can quickly see what the situation is.

Anyways, there are always F16/Taipan skippers looking for crews in the bigger events so you and your wife could also hook up with two skippers and do some inexpensive sailing.

My advice would be to establish close stay in contact when you are serious about one option or another because the class has always been able to arrange "something".

have some fair winds and do some wintersailing for the both of us John,

wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: Getting interested in the class... [Re: John Williams] #14375
12/18/02 11:29 PM
12/18/02 11:29 PM
Australia (Queensland)
Berthos Offline
Berthos  Offline

Australia (Queensland)
John,
If you are interested in information on the Taipan you can visit the Taipan Catamaran Association of Australia website:

http://www.taipan.asn.au

or the website of the manufacturers:

http://www.ahpc.com.au

Regards,

Rob Wilson
Taipan 4.9 AUS175

Re: Boats available- [Re: John Williams] #14376
12/19/02 08:30 AM
12/19/02 08:30 AM
Arkansas, USA
Kirt Offline
enthusiast
Kirt  Offline
enthusiast

Arkansas, USA
John-
I know of only two boats currently available in the States-
BIM 16- Contact WF if interested in that one.
Taipan 4.9 2000 model- Contact John Marples for that one in Gulfport (I believe it's advertised on this site too-).
Glad to hear of your interest! We'd love to have you in the class-

Kirt

Kirt Simmons Taipan #159, "A" cat US 48
Re: Boats available- [Re: Kirt] #14377
12/19/02 08:49 AM
12/19/02 08:49 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Wasn't John Marples they guy that bought the Gulport Taipan recently ?

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Glad to hear it - you'd be a welcome addition [Re: John Williams] #14378
12/19/02 05:07 PM
12/19/02 05:07 PM
M
michael C Offline
michael C  Offline
M

John,
If you want any questions answered about T4.9, Helen is a great resource. Her e-mail is ahpc@ahpc.com.au
She's the "voice" of the manufacturer, and probably one of the nicest, most helpful people you'll ever speak to. They're "out sailing" from Dec. 20-Jan. 13 to prep. for the T4.9 Nat's, but other than that, she almost always replies to even the most trivial questions.
Re. used boats: Rick's made it clear that he (quite rightly) wants no ad's unless the seller buys a spot, but if you e-mail me at fastcatmichael@hotmail.com , I'd be happy to tell you what I know.
You gonna be at Tradewinds? If I'm not teaching sailing that weekend, I'll be there, and you can take my boat for a drive.
See you at Tradewinds or at Spring Fever.
Michael C
t4.9#32

P.S.
I'm interested in the 3 races this summer in FWB - are they scored separate from the bouys races they're with? what's the story?

I forgot [Re: John Williams] #14379
12/19/02 05:27 PM
12/19/02 05:27 PM
M
michael C Offline
michael C  Offline
M

E.J.Poulson posted these prices for the "big" f16 builders:

1. Taipan 4.9 kevlar sloop with spinnaker
$9,717 (not including shipping from AUS)

2. Stealth sloop with spinnaker
$10,900 (not including shipping from UK)

3. Javelin 16 uni with spinnaker
$10500-11500 with carbon mast
$9750-10750 with alu mast
(imported via WF)

Michael Coffman

Funny - she told me to talk to YOU! [Re: michael C] #14380
12/19/02 06:19 PM
12/19/02 06:19 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Seriously - Helen gave me your e-mail specifically. Definitely will be getting with you off-forum for the purpose of establishing the "lesson learned" from your import. There is one other likely addition here in town - another guy who's been thinking about the class, who may be up for splitting some shipping.

With regard to the Trident - yes, they will be scored independently of the buoy races they're built around. As I understand it, there will be a separate entry form and registration fee. They're talking about making the two sets of sails DOOR PRIZES instead of trophies with the express intent of giving EVERYONE a shot at them rather than just the rock stars. Nothing in stone yet - more details as they're made up.

Won't make Tradewinds - amnio scheduled that week. I will be at Spring Fever again this year, and I'll be in your neck of the woods for Alter Cup.

See you soonish.

John

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 499 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022