Clear Lake,Texas
T
TreyG Offline
stranger
TreyG  Offline
stranger
T

Clear Lake,Texas

Here's a piece of advice for our readers: Don't get behind the wheel or handlebars of anything motorized if you're intoxicated, whether it's a car, a scooter, Power Wheel, or even a cooler. It's dangerous, and most likely illegal.

Leslie J. "Bomber" Marr learned this the hard way when he was arrested on Memorial Day in Whitehall, NY and charged with DWI and aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle after police saw him swerving around the streets and driving on the sidewalk... on a cooler. Marr was driving around town on a Cruizin Cooler, which puts a seat on top of a three-wheeled cooler and attaches an electric motor similar to those found on electric scooters. It even has a hatch so you can pull out a icy cold drink while driving. The hatch also has a cup/can holder on top, suggesting that this sort of activity is exactly what the designers had in mind.

Under state law, the cooler is still considered a motor vehicle so sobriety is a must, and a license is highly recommended.

Trey

Nacra 5.2 "Silver Bullet" #333
TCDYC
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: The Latest on Sailboat vs. Sheriff's Deputy [Re: TreyG] #143985
06/17/08 03:18 PM
06/17/08 03:18 PM
FarNorCal
R
ridge_pilot Offline
ridge_pilot  Offline
R

FarNorCal
Thanks for keeping up on this. I appreciate it and you guys have made some very good points. I am convinced that the cause of this accident was ultimately the speed and poor judgement of the power boat skipper (I don't care if he was the president, or a teenager on a joyride, being a Lake County Sheriff should have no infuence on this case). He could have just as easily run into a house, or a motor home parked on the beach, and killed the occupants under the same circumstances.

Re: The Latest on Sailboat vs. Sheriff's Deputy [Re: ridge_pilot] #217903
08/20/10 11:00 AM
08/20/10 11:00 AM
Indianapolis, IN - Midwest USA...
IndyWave Offline
enthusiast
IndyWave  Offline
enthusiast

Indianapolis, IN - Midwest USA...
Apparently this type of injustice carries over onto land as well. An Indianapolis Police Officer with a blood alcohol content of .19 (over twice legally drunk) while on duty plowed into the back of traffic stopped at a light, killing one motorcyclist and critically injuring two others. He was travelling at high speed with lights and siren on, but was not actually on an emergency run. The stopped traffic had nowhere to go due to retaining walls and islands. This was the fifth wreck he has had while on duty.

The seven felony counts were all dropped yesterday, because the blood was not drawn according to proper procedures.

Local officials are hoping that bikers won't retalliate on their own terms. Personally, I think a lynching is in order.

What - Me Worry?

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"
Re: The Latest on Sailboat vs. Sheriff's Deputy [Re: hobie1616] #217909
08/20/10 12:57 PM
08/20/10 12:57 PM
Raleigh/ Wrightsville Beach NC
MarkW_F18 Offline
enthusiast
MarkW_F18  Offline
enthusiast

Raleigh/ Wrightsville Beach NC
I'm glad you bumped this story up. I was wondering how it turned out.. After 3 years Bismarck Dinius was found Not Guilty, but it sounds like he went through hell to get justice. That occurred a year ago. He is now filing a law suit against the Lake County DA.

Check out the local ABC station story....

Dinius- Not Guilty

Mark Williams
F18 H16
http://emsa-sailing.org
Re: The Latest on Sailboat vs. Sheriff's Deputy [Re: IndyWave] #217912
08/20/10 03:03 PM
08/20/10 03:03 PM
Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
I know a guy here who is a sheriff deputy. We were talking about something similar. The rule was if a deputy was involved in a crash the Florida Hi-way Patrol would do the investigation. After a few judgments that went against the deputy's the county sheriff decided that they would do their own from now on. Protect and Serve....themselves.

Have Fun
Re: The Latest on Sailboat vs. Sheriff's Deputy [Re: catman] #217938
08/21/10 08:22 AM
08/21/10 08:22 AM
Gulf Coast relocated from Cali...
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

Gulf Coast relocated from Cali...
I saw, FIRST HAND, an off duty Deputy crash his patrol car into a house in Phx with beers in the car and still get away with it, even after fleeing the scene and hiding the smashed up car behind my brother's house. NONE of the cops that responded gave him a breath test and he was CLEARLY drunk. The passenger had a bruise on his chest from the airbag deploying and hitting his beer bottle into him. He's now on Lake Patrol at Lake Pleasant just outside of Phx chasing drunk boaters.

Lee

Keyboard sailors are always faster in all conditions.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 369 guests, and 101 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022