Florida
G
Gator Offline OP
stranger
Gator  Offline OP
stranger
G

Florida
The velcro straps for the aft tensioning on my Wave are shot. I'm new with the Wave and before I order replacement straps I wanted to inquire if there is a new and/or better tramp tension solution to these straps that is still class legal.
Gator

--Advertisement--
Re: Velcro tramp tension straps [Re: Gator] #144194
06/01/08 09:00 PM
06/01/08 09:00 PM
central Maine
W
wannahobie Offline
stranger
wannahobie  Offline
stranger
W

central Maine
see my last post dated 6/1/08 in this thread here, not sure if is class legal, but does away w/ the velcro permanently. Credit for this idea goes to Matt Miller. This mod also enables the potential to add a traveller kit (not class legal, right?)

Jim 2007 Hobie Wave
Re: Velcro tramp tension straps [Re: wannahobie] #144195
06/24/08 05:54 AM
06/24/08 05:54 AM
central Maine
W
wannahobie Offline
stranger
wannahobie  Offline
stranger
W

central Maine
see my last post dated 6/1/08 in this thread here, not sure if is class legal, but does away w/ the velcro permanently. Credit for this idea goes to Matt Miller. This mod also enables the potential to add a traveller kit (not class legal, right?)
Finally eliminated the velro straps w/ the lacing posts, as eluded to above. I documented it here

Jim 2007 Hobie Wave
Re: Velcro tramp tension straps [Re: wannahobie] #144196
07/14/08 08:13 AM
07/14/08 08:13 AM
central Maine
W
wannahobie Offline
stranger
wannahobie  Offline
stranger
W

central Maine
Finally eliminated the velro straps w/ the lacing posts, as eluded to above. I documented it here
Mades some updates to this mod, see it here

Jim 2007 Hobie Wave
Re: Velcro tramp tension straps [Re: wannahobie] #144197
08/21/08 12:56 PM
08/21/08 12:56 PM
Utah, USA
AlphaGJohn Offline
stranger
AlphaGJohn  Offline
stranger

Utah, USA
This is too late to be of any use to Gator, presumably, but it might be of interest to someone else looking at this topic: We were able to fabricate replacement velcro for a fraction of the cost of the Hobie units--this doesn't get you a lacing option, you understand. (Our problem is the boat lives outside and UV kills the velcro relatively quickly--yes we could cover it up, but that never seems to happen). At any rate, by just trimming the velcro back to the point that it was still good and sewing on some more velcro hooks(same width as original, purchased at REI, maybe or some other sporting goods place), we've gotten a couple of more years out of the things. (We haven't taken the time to think about a major upgrade to the tramp to allow lacing it to the aft crossbar. We enjoy spending what little time we can manage sailing the boat rather than working on it ;-)

Best breezes!

John Craig Utah County, Utah '95 Hobie Wave
Re: Velcro tramp tension straps [Re: AlphaGJohn] #144198
08/24/08 06:56 AM
08/24/08 06:56 AM
central Maine
W
wannahobie Offline
stranger
wannahobie  Offline
stranger
W

central Maine
The tramp lacing mod does not require an upgrade to the tramp. You use the same tramp and lacing rod. Just need to add the lacing posts to the rear crossbar (I have a pdf of a CAD drawing which shows the locations of the posts as I installed them). My installation with 8 lacing posts does require 4 new small cutouts in the tramp (1/2"x1 1-1/2", not like the stock 2"x1-1/2" cutouts). But you could get away with just using 4 posts at the stock strap locations. Your velcro maintenance problems would be over! Plus you can then add a traveller as I just did.

Jim 2007 Hobie Wave
Re: Velcro tramp tension straps [Re: wannahobie] #144199
08/25/08 03:01 PM
08/25/08 03:01 PM
Utah, USA
AlphaGJohn Offline
stranger
AlphaGJohn  Offline
stranger

Utah, USA
Looks great, Jim. Seems like the only issue for doing it ourselves is attaching those lacing posts (which might require some new tools or taking it to the not-quite-local shop for some work). But, very slick design!

Is that PDF you have something you could attach to a post?

John Craig Utah County, Utah '95 Hobie Wave
Re: Velcro tramp tension straps [Re: AlphaGJohn] #144200
08/31/08 08:12 AM
08/31/08 08:12 AM
central Maine
W
wannahobie Offline
stranger
wannahobie  Offline
stranger
W

central Maine
Looks great, Jim. Seems like the only issue for doing it ourselves is attaching those lacing posts (which might require some new tools or taking it to the not-quite-local shop for some work). But, very slick design!

Sorry John, just noticed your post. I can email the pdf, but don't know if attaching the pdf will work, I will try it though. Otherwise, my email is kineo4 at gmail dot com. Drop me a note and I will gladly send it along!
As for tools, just a tapemeasure, drill w/ 3/16"bit, and decent pop rivet tool. I used a craftsman pop rivet tool like this one. The only thing is that those monel rivets are really hard to set. I kind of cheated and used a clamp to compress the handles to 'pop' the nail.

Attached Files

Jim 2007 Hobie Wave
Re: Velcro tramp tension straps [Re: wannahobie] #144201
09/01/08 07:42 AM
09/01/08 07:42 AM
central Maine
W
wannahobie Offline
stranger
wannahobie  Offline
stranger
W

central Maine

Sorry John, just noticed your post. I can email the pdf, but don't know if attaching the pdf will work, I will try it though. Otherwise, my email is kineo4 at gmail dot com. Drop me a note and I will gladly send it along!
As for tools, just a tapemeasure, drill w/ 3/16"bit, and decent pop rivet tool. I used a craftsman pop rivet tool like this one. The only thing is that those monel rivets are really hard to set. I kind of cheated and used a clamp to compress the handles to 'pop' the nail.
I forgot one other tool, a pair of vise grip pliers to set the hog rings on the bungee cords.
And apparently attaching the pdf did work. One note about the pdf, it is really just the CAD dwg I used to figure out my options for post placement, not the whole procedure. You will find the links to that in posts above. In the PDF you will see on the left, the first option I considered, with 2 posts per former strap location. This is a viable option, but my tramp had the middle 2 cutouts 1" offset,I guess a misalignment at the factory. You will note the cyan lines indicating where my strap cutouts actually are.
In the end I decided if it would be better overall support to add the extra 4 spaced evenly between what should be the correct cutout location for every tramp (hence the dimentions I called out, check yours to make sure this will work), for a total of 8 posts evenly supporting the aft end.

If you don't want to make any mods to your tramp, then omit the optional posts, just place them at the stock cutout locations. Four is probably ample, not alot of loading there anyway. Eight just makes it a little tighter.

Jim 2007 Hobie Wave

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 482 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022