06/09/08 03:57 PM
06/09/08 03:57 PM
Louisiana
Scubajeep Offline OP
journeyman
Scubajeep  Offline OP
journeyman

Louisiana
The family and I are heading to Orange beach, AL next week (Phenoix 7), I know of a few spots where I used to launch BUT They required 4 wheeled drive to get through some soft spots....

So... does anyone know of a "launch" near the end of Orange Beach Al. where I can "launch" my Hobie? I have beachwheels to roll any distance needed. I prefer a "launch area" on the gulf side but not required.

Google map of area

Thanks
Todd H

Sailing a 1980 Hobie-18M with 1990 hulls in Southern Louisiana.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Orange Beach, AL..... where to launch the Hobi [Re: Scubajeep] #145302
06/09/08 04:09 PM
06/09/08 04:09 PM
Atlanta, GA
KentHobie Offline
KentHobie  Offline

Atlanta, GA
I have not done this but just over the bridge on Perdidio Key there is a beach access you might be able to put the boat on the sand there. You would be just outside the bridge. Watch out for the rocks if you go out the pass you'll want to stay close to the channel. Also the swells can be heavy in the pass.

I know there is a boat ramp on Ono Island, but it is private. There are also several marinas around but they are located in more protected waters.

Good Luck and let us know where you end up launching.

Kent

Kent
1988 H16
Re: Orange Beach, AL..... where to launch the Hobi [Re: KentHobie] #145303
06/09/08 04:23 PM
06/09/08 04:23 PM
Atlanta, GA
KentHobie Offline
KentHobie  Offline

Atlanta, GA
I just spoke to my brother in law who launches a small power boat at the end of Marina Rd. off of Hwy 161 Orange Beach Parkway, its called Boggy Point Boat ramp. Try this link: http://www.orangebeach.ws/boatlaunches.html
Good luck!
Kent

Kent
1988 H16
Re: Orange Beach, AL..... where to launch the Hobi [Re: Scubajeep] #145304
06/11/08 10:41 AM
06/11/08 10:41 AM
Louisiana
Scubajeep Offline OP
journeyman
Scubajeep  Offline OP
journeyman

Louisiana
Cool, I'll look into the boat launches... Has anyone tried the location in the attached map? It looks like a public parking on the beach side. If their is no fence, can I wheel the boat to the beach?

possible beachcat launch area?

Re: Orange Beach, AL..... where to launch the Hobi [Re: KentHobie] #145305
06/11/08 12:21 PM
06/11/08 12:21 PM
AL
AlecThigpen Offline
AlecThigpen  Offline

AL
I have used the one at Boggy Point at the end of Marina Rd, and it worked great, but you have to pick your times due to strong currents if you plan on sailing out under the bridge, especially in light wind conditions.

If you have Cat Tracks or similar beach wheels, the Gulf side you looked at might work just fine.

I wouldn't recommend the Cotton Bayou launch on the north side of the road due to extreme powerboat congestion and parking difficulties in the summer. Powerboaters don't like cat sailors, and unless you are a speed launcher, it just isn't worth the possible consequences. I have seen too many confrontations to make that seem like a good choice. It's hard enough to get in and out in a small powerboat on a weekend.

Re: Orange Beach, AL..... where to launch the Hobi [Re: AlecThigpen] #145306
06/11/08 04:06 PM
06/11/08 04:06 PM
Louisiana
Scubajeep Offline OP
journeyman
Scubajeep  Offline OP
journeyman

Louisiana
I have used the one at Boggy Point at the end of Marina Rd, and it worked great, but you have to pick your times due to strong currents if you plan on sailing out under the bridge, especially in light wind conditions.

If you have Cat Tracks or similar beach wheels, the Gulf side you looked at might work just fine.

I wouldn't recommend the Cotton Bayou launch on the north side of the road due to extreme powerboat congestion and parking difficulties in the summer. Powerboaters don't like cat sailors, and unless you are a speed launcher, it just isn't worth the possible consequences. I have seen too many confrontations to make that seem like a good choice. It's hard enough to get in and out in a small powerboat on a weekend.

Thanks,
I think I'll try the "public" parking area on the gulf side. I know of a beach access road next to one of the last condos before the bridge but it would need 4 wheel drive to get the boat in and out quickly, and I'm trying to avoid driving the Jeep (92 wrangler) due to gas cost. My Honda CRV can pull the hobie without any issues, its just a launching location is limited in that area.

thanks again. If you have any other suggestions let me know... Also I'll most likely be the only cat with blue sails on the beach.... EVERYONE is more than welcome to come over and say "Hi" and get a ride.

Todd H

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 432 guests, and 69 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022