Getawaysailor  Offline OP
stranger

Melbourne, FL
I just received an email that came from rick@catsailor.com,
Subject: About their Online services
File:Can.ZIP
DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS FILE
It Contains the W32.Klez worm
I'm not sure exactly how it came as of yet but once again dont even open this if you receive it. [color:"red"] [/color]

Hobie Getaway "Curiosity"
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: VIRUS ALERT Not from me [Re: Getawaysailor] #14591
12/26/02 10:00 AM
12/26/02 10:00 AM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
Alas, this virus uses someone's address book, usually it is MS Outlook, and sends out the virus to everyone in the book and from everyone in the book.
That is one of the reasons I will not use Microsoft products whenever possible -- I use a totally different email program and address book.

As for my sending it, that would be impossible since I have both inbound and outbound virus control that is updated twice a week or more often as needed.
As you can imagine with the amount of traffic I get, major protection is much needed.

So, be sure to keep YOUR virus protection up to date.

Thanks,
Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Re: VIRUS ALERT Not from me [Re: RickWhite] #14592
12/26/02 11:23 AM
12/26/02 11:23 AM
Melbourne, FL
Getawaysailor Offline OP
stranger
stranger

Melbourne, FL
I'm sorry Rick but the email was sent from your address. I dont use any MS email either but it did come from you email address. So there is a problem somewhere I just thought you may want to know this. I'm not saying you did anything but this did happen.
Thanks
Dan

Re: VIRUS ALERT Not from me [Re: Getawaysailor] #14593
12/26/02 06:20 PM
12/26/02 06:20 PM
Annapolis,MD
Keith Offline
veteran
Keith  Offline
veteran

Annapolis,MD
As Rick kind of pointed out, a common feature of current viruses is to spoof the source email address. This means that the source address on the email you received most certainly is wrong. As Rick pointed out, the virus will look in the email software of the infected computer, grab addresses and use them to spoof the originating sender when it mails copies of itself to other addresses in the book.

Outlook Express is particularly susceptible to this kind of attack (especially if none of the security updates from MS have been installed) - but that only tells you that the likely true source is using that software, nothing more.

Hopefully, you know the email had a virus because your protection software caught it for you. It should have also told what kind of virus it thought it was. Take that name and go to http://www.sarc.com, and look it up, including the details on how it works - you'll probably get a better explanation.

What all this means is that Rick almost certainly didn't email it to you (as he sounds like he is well protected), but somebody who at some time had email correspondance with Rick did - that could be a lot of folks!

Added in edit: I just noticed that your original post mentioned Klez32.worm - that one definitely spoofs the source address as Rick said. There's also no guarantee that others who get the mail from the same computer will see Rick as the source, it may be some other address found on the infected computer.

Last edited by Keith; 12/26/02 06:23 PM.
Re: VIRUS ALERT Not from me [Re: Keith] #14594
12/26/02 10:08 PM
12/26/02 10:08 PM
Melbourne, FL
Getawaysailor Offline OP
stranger
stranger

Melbourne, FL
I'm very sorry for the confusion here but as I stated before I wasn't trying to blame Rick for the virus that my antivirus software had detected. I was just trying to let people know that there was a virus out there and that this is what it may look like if they recieve it.
I dont use Outlook or any other MS email program and I have NO Address book attached to any email account in my computer.
I know what the virus is that was attacthed to the email.
thanks

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 650 guests, and 165 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022