Hop To
Tiger Spin Block Location #149245
07/11/08 12:51 PM
07/11/08 12:51 PM
Minneapolis, MN
B Carlson Offline OP
B Carlson  Offline OP

Minneapolis, MN
What is the proper location for the spinnaker spinnaker blocks. I have seen 3-ways. First tied to the side stay chain plate, not the right spot in my opinion. Second, there is an eye strap on the inside side of deck and as I recall behind the stay, seems pretty far back. Third I have seen the blocks tied to the tramp utilizing to closely placed grommets. The third option would be similar spot to my Nacra. Spot two seems pretty far back so the leech would be open on top, I would assume, maybe a high wind location? Also spot two doesn't seem like it would wrap the sheet around the auto-ratchet block for it to be fully effective, plus I would think with the crew trapped out on the back the sheet would have to go over the skipper's shoulder (can't say for sure since I haven't actually sailed it.) Also seen the sheet run to a second block tied the jib track posts. Does that have any ill affects on the traveler?

I am going to crewing on a Tiger this weekend to help get the skipper up to speed, and I know right now the boat is not rigged the way I would do it. It seems sort of messy. If any one has any advice on there current set-ups I would appreciate it.

One more thing. The boat is rigged with a single spin halyard/tack line. That system is fine, but I would like to see the halyard cleated off the mast with an upside down pivot block rather then from the beam. The Alter Cup Capicorn's where set up that way, I just never paid attention to how it was done.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Tiger Spin Block Location [Re: B Carlson] #149246
07/11/08 01:55 PM
07/11/08 01:55 PM
USA1273 Offline
journeyman
USA1273  Offline
journeyman

Location depends on the cut of the kite - this is our set up for the new design. We run dual auto ratchets per each side and with the "bitc@" block in this forward and outboard location the kite sheet never hits me when the forward crew is on the wire.

To clean the tramp up we run the jibsheet and main cunningham in the front beam on bunge take-ups. We sunk the front trap to the beam to pull it forward and out of the way. We then run the aft trap to the rail to further clear the working space.

The boat came from the factory with the cleat on the mast, not a big deal to switch and having used both, the seperate lines are much better in my oppinion.

[Linked Image]

Http://highperformancesailing.spaces.live.com

Attached Files
151501-112.jpg (271 downloads)
Last edited by DHFiend; 07/11/08 02:15 PM.

F18 USA 1273
Andrews 77 (SOLD) Melges 32 (SOLD) Formula18 Olympic 49er (FOR SALE)
Always outnumbered - Never outgunned....
Re: Tiger Spin Block Location [Re: B Carlson] #149247
07/11/08 02:34 PM
07/11/08 02:34 PM
+31NL
Tony_F18 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Tony_F18  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+31NL
You might want to take a look at this website:
http://www.socoabeach.com/PrepaTiger.php
Its a detailed guide on how to setup a tiger for racing.

You might also want to take a look at the new Mischa Heemskerk tiger tuning sheet. (I just heard he finished 3rd at the F18 Worlds!).
http://www.mischaheemskerk.com/content/view/8/12/

Re: Tiger Spin Block Location [Re: B Carlson] #149248
07/14/08 10:38 AM
07/14/08 10:38 AM
League City, TX
flumpmaster Offline
addict
flumpmaster  Offline
addict

League City, TX
Brent,

For the old cut kite the eyestrap behind the shrouds is where we used to have the turning block. For the F18 cut kite the factory advised position is to tie off to the two grommets on the tramp just in front of the dagger board well. We found that when reaching double trapped with the kite (distance racing) this caused the tramp to lift up and gave us serious concern that it would fail. We now have an eyestrap fastened through the tramp and the hull (backed inside with a home made aluminum plate) located about 9" forward of those two grommets. We got this from copying Tomko, and after experimenting with some other positions we think this gives a nice sheeting angle on the kite. Using a position further back seems to open the shoulder of the kite a little too much.

I think the latest hulls from Hobie have the blocks mounted to an eyestrap forward of the dagger board well toward the inside of the deck, but I can't remember the exact location. To get it to work without fastening through the tramp you can't go too far forward of the dagger board well.

The side shroud is not the right location.

Chris.

Dave Ingram is my president. tcdyc rules
Re: Tiger Spin Block Location [Re: Tony_F18] #149249
07/14/08 10:43 AM
07/14/08 10:43 AM
League City, TX
flumpmaster Offline
addict
flumpmaster  Offline
addict

League City, TX
You might want to take a look at this website:
http://www.socoabeach.com/PrepaTiger.php
Its a detailed guide on how to setup a tiger for racing.

You might also want to take a look at the new Mischa Heemskerk tiger tuning sheet. (I just heard he finished 3rd at the F18 Worlds!).
http://www.mischaheemskerk.com/content/view/8/12/

Great links Tony - thanks for posting them. There are some neat ideas on Proust's website that will keep us busy.

There was one photo that showed spinnaker turning block placement - this looks like how I remember the latest boats looked in South Africa:

[Linked Image]

Chris.

Dave Ingram is my president. tcdyc rules

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 407 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022