07/30/08 08:08 AM
07/30/08 08:08 AM
Michigan
PTP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
PTP  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Michigan
And dangerous situation that it puts the rescue personnel in.

Ever since the Coast Guard stopped drafting people.... rescue people choose their line of work with full knowledge they will be in dangerious situations.... same as soldiers, firemen, cops and similar.

problem is this though- just because they chose that line of work doesn't mean they always relish being in those situations. do soldiers like being shot at? No. If they could avoid it, would they? yep

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Another cat sailor fatality [Re: PTP] #150964
07/30/08 08:41 AM
07/30/08 08:41 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And dangerous situation that it puts the rescue personnel in.

Ever since the Coast Guard stopped drafting people.... rescue people choose their line of work with full knowledge they will be in dangerious situations.... same as soldiers, firemen, cops and similar.

problem is this though- just because they chose that line of work doesn't mean they always relish being in those situations. do soldiers like being shot at? No. If they could avoid it, would they? yep

My point was ….
IMHO, that is not a good argument for why the public should wear a PFD, to keep rescue people from having to rescue you.

Re: Another cat sailor fatality [Re: PTP] #150965
07/30/08 08:46 AM
07/30/08 08:46 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
PTP
So what your saying is recreational sailors don't deserve rescue? If that's it ,then you should sell your boat and keep the first responders from being at risk.
Contrary to your post, all the fireman I know love the excitement and really enjoy their job the more difficult it gets.
as for the soldier comment ,I'd say that's apples to oranges.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Another cat sailor fatality [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #150966
07/30/08 08:53 AM
07/30/08 08:53 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

As x-military (and served in the gulfwar) i think i have ground to say that military don’t want to be shot at... but understand that its possible we will be ordered into dangerous situations and put in harms way.

If you join the coast guard or a rescue team... you KNOW you will be out there rescuing people in inclement weather and crazy conditions so the argument that we put them at risk, as a reason to wear a pfd is weak.

That being said.... those guys in the Coast Guard who go out and do rescue ops are CRAZY! (but thank god for them).

Re: Another cat sailor fatality [Re: Karl_Brogger] #150967
07/30/08 08:58 AM
07/30/08 08:58 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Plenty of people deserve their fates by ignoring the consequences of there actions, yet they live, and more tragically manage to further pollute our gene pool by breeding. I feel no pity, and if you don't want to pay for those injuries run around to all the assisted living buildings, (or if you prefer, "raisin ranch" and pull the plug on anyone not of retirement age. or.... kick a lawyer in the nuts and thank him for all of the lawsuits that make it possible for you to pay for some other persons inability to adequatly fall victim to Darwinism.

HERE-HERE
Karl Brogger FOR PRESIDENT

Re: Another cat sailor fatality [Re: ] #150968
07/30/08 11:14 AM
07/30/08 11:14 AM
california
F-18 5150 Offline
veteran
F-18 5150  Offline
veteran

california
The population of the world on average increases by 166,000 a day. If a few people want to not wear pfd's seatbelts and helmets more power too them. More resources available for me.
I feel sorry for this persons family but not the person. Your choices in life affect you first and foremost. If you don't care about your life enough to take proper safety procedures you become an example of what not to do for others.
Get on my boat wear a life jacket, at all times. I alweays have flares gps and a radio. signal mirrors in my life jacket with the whistle. and for ocean a phone in the dry bag.
As for a volunteer coast guard id rather have someone who wants to serve than someone forced to serve.
Bless our troops everywhere!
Former USN 4 tours to the gulf, and somalia.

Richard Vilvens
Brand Ambassador
PSA Capricorn USA
R.Vilvens@yahoo.com
Fairfield, Ca
F-18 5150

http://www.capricornsailing.com/
Re: Another cat sailor fatality [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #150969
07/30/08 11:58 AM
07/30/08 11:58 AM
Michigan
PTP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
PTP  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Michigan
cat fever-
I didn't mean that recreational sailors don't deserve rescue. Not sure where you got that....
as far as the fireman/police/SAR people... I thought of that when I typed it- they do enjoy the adrenaline rush of what they do but I am sure they are also thinking "jackass!" when they are rescuing some people.
my opinion is what people have echoed on here- it is stupid not wear a pfd when out on a catamaran, less stupid if you don't wear one while cruising on a bigger boat. either way is stupid but I agree that I don't like laws that mandate anything but someone tell the lawyers that. There is, unfortunately no such thing as personal culpability anymore. gotta blame someone for everything

BTW, I was deployed as critical care evacuation team leader in the Phillipines and loved it when I was actually doing my job. Taking off in a helicopter at night with lighting all around to transport a local who got in a motorcycle accident and had a brain bleed (and I do not believe he was wearing a helmet) was sketchy but thrilling.

Last edited by PTP; 07/30/08 12:02 PM.
Re: Another cat sailor fatality [Re: PTP] #150970
07/30/08 01:27 PM
07/30/08 01:27 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
PTP

I agree that those in certain professions enjoy the thrill of fighting fire, jumping out of airplanes, blowing stuff up, searching & rescue, or combinations of the above.

And yes, they do think (or speak amongst themselves) "dumb--" for those that really do brainless stuff..

I've had to document patient information during EMS transports, and more than once I've caught myself mumbling under my breath "...and THAT'S why you're here (in this ambulance)"

I mean really, did (s)he really think that 'surfing' on top of a moving car was a good idea?

Or trying to steal cable TV by splicing wire (which turned out to be another illegal AC power line already stealing electricity) was smart?

Jay

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (FredL), 626 guests, and 80 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022